MPG after 102 Remap

The way it's able to make an extra 60 horsepower is by burning more fuel. Your right foot determines how much of that extra power you use. If you enjoy the added performance, inevitably you will use more fuel.

Remaps can offer better fuel consumption, but that is when driven in exactly the same manor as before. More performance means that you can get up to an economical speed quicker, so the throttle is open wider for a much shorter space of time during acceleration.

Petrol engines have throttles. Diesel engines don't have throttles, so 'nothing' is open for longer. Diesel engines have a fixed size air intake aperture.

In a Diesel engine the amount of power required is varied by injecting more or less fuel into the cylinders before compression. Air flow is not restricted by a throttle device.

'Throttle' is a miss-conception for a Diesel engine. Some also think that a 'throttle' is the foot pedal itself. The 'throttle' pedal was just a foot operated mechanical linkage to control the petrol engine's air intake butterfly valve (the actual throttle). However that has been replaced nowadays by an electronic servo command interpreter (drive by wire).

See here: Throttle - Wikipedia

throttle is the mechanism by which fluid flow is managed by constriction or obstruction.

BUT in a Diesel engine,...

The power output of a diesel engine is controlled by regulating the quantity of fuel that is injected into the cylinder. Because diesel engines do not need to control air volumes, they usually lack a butterfly valve in the intake tract.

Matt
M.Eng (Honons)

Sorry, but all of this "x miles per tank" is meaningless.
Do you have a 70 litre tank or 80 litre tank?
How far down the gauge do you let it go before refilling?
The only meaningful measure is MPG, anything else is just guesswork.
Yeah, it is a bit vague but measuring miles between refuels is the only meaningful way to get a proper MPG these days.
To measure mine I go fuel warning light to fuel warning light which takes about 55l or 12.08 UK gallons to fill back up.
I then get about 300 miles which works out at 24.83 MPG.

Having said all that is MPG really that meaningful anymore?

Huh? You saying all the empty bottles and crisp packets are causing my bad MPG?
Absolutely! Think of all that extra weight!!!

However, I was thinking that throwing in an engine cleaning additive when you next fill up might help.

I'm guessing pendle did the remap? That's who I'm going to do when out of warranty. Tbh if your happy with them and the service you got them why not mention them and give them a good review?

Petrol engines have throttles. Diesel engines don't have throttles, so 'nothing' is open for longer. Diesel engines have a fixed size air intake aperture.

In a Diesel engine the amount of power required is varied by injecting more or less fuel into the cylinders before compression. Air flow is not restricted by a throttle device.

'Throttle' is a miss-conception for a Diesel engine. Some also think that a 'throttle' is the foot pedal itself. The 'throttle' pedal was just a foot operated mechanical linkage to control the petrol engine's air intake butterfly valve (the actual throttle). However that has been replaced nowadays by an electronic servo command interpreter (drive by wire).

See here: Throttle - Wikipedia

throttle is the mechanism by which fluid flow is managed by constriction or obstruction.

BUT in a Diesel engine,...

The power output of a diesel engine is controlled by regulating the quantity of fuel that is injected into the cylinder. Because diesel engines do not need to control air volumes, they usually lack a butterfly valve in the intake tract.

Matt
M.Eng (Honons)
Thank you. If I could go back and edit my post, I would change "throttle is open wider" to "injectors delivering more fuel" It's best that we make sure we give the correct information for those reading this in the future.

Yeah, it is a bit vague but measuring miles between refuels is the only meaningful way to get a proper MPG these days.
To measure mine I go fuel warning light to fuel warning light which takes about 55l or 12.08 UK gallons to fill back up.
I then get about 300 miles which works out at 24.83 MPG.

Having said all that is MPG really that meaningful anymore?
yeh, I tend to fill to the brim then run until fuel light comes on.

Hmm probably delay the remap for another year. See where the fuel prices are.

Hmm probably delay the remap for another year. See where the fuel prices are.
can't see prices coming down anytime soon. I believe you can have a map to make it more fuel efficient but probably won't have as much power. I love how mine drives after the remap, suppose its the price to pay, can't have it both ways

I needs it is. I’ve done several trips from Essex to Cornwall and it’s steady at 48. I have seen 50mpg. Travelling at 65mph.
Think I’m getting just over 600 miles from a tank.

Was mapped by previous owner. Enigma Mapping, down in the south west.

80 litre tank on my 150 6 speed remapped by Pendle to 192ish.
Filled it up before my last trip (from Teesside to Stratford on Avon and back), did 380 miles and the miles left on the dash is at 300.

I don’t fill my tank any longer.
1. It means I’m carrying a lot less weight so my fuel economy is improved.
2. I typically refuel at my local Shell garage which give my rewards (small as they are) for each refuel. Fill it twice as often get rewards twice as quickly. Twice not much is better than one.

Reactions: CAB
I needs it is. I’ve done several trips from Essex to Cornwall and it’s steady at 48. I have seen 50mpg. Travelling at 65mph.
Think I’m getting just over 600 miles from a tank.

Was mapped by previous owner. Enigma Mapping, down in the south west.
If you're filling it up from almost empty, say 0 to 10 litres left, on a 75 litre tank and getting 600 miles, you're getting between 36 - 41 mpg.

Can't argue with the maths...

trip mileage / (litres used /4.54) = mpg

There are 4.54 litres in an imperial gallon.

so,

600 / (65 / 4.54) = 41.9

Don't pay too much mind to what the trip computer tells you, its optimistic at best, in your case exceptionally so!

I don’t fill my tank any longer.
1. It means I’m carrying a lot less weight so my fuel economy is improved.
2. I typically refuel at my local Shell garage which give my rewards (small as they are) for each refuel. Fill it twice as often get rewards twice as quickly. Twice not much is better than one.
Ah, but the fuel you save whilst carrying the extra 30odd kg of fuel that diminishes as you drive is used up by going off course more often to the fuel station.

Ah, but the fuel you save whilst carrying the extra 30odd kg of fuel that diminishes as you drive is used up by going off course more often to the fuel station.
Ah, but the fuel I use going to the garage is used at the same time to take me to Aldi opposite the garage, which are both just a mile away. Since we generally buy bacon when we’re at Aldi, the bacon tips the balance. ;)

Back