Movies on discovery head unit?

Daddy V

Guy's,

Just taken delivery of my first VW Transporter, loving it so far, but with the discovery nav system there is a spare SD slot and the USB socket in the glovebox.

Has anyone managed to play movies/films off of either the SD2 slot or the USB port in the glove box??

Seems nuts to have this many possible inputs without one of them being able to be used for films!

Thanks in advance.

I dont think it is possible, as it is classed unsafe when driving i imagine?

Hi Studley,

I get that, I would be happy to have it working with the handbrake applied, I would only want to watch a film whilst stationary waiting for a customer to arrive on site.

Guy's,

Just taken delivery of my first VW Transporter, loving it so far, but with the discovery nav system there is a spare SD slot and the USB socket in the glovebox.

Has anyone managed to play movies/films off of either the SD2 slot or the USB port in the glove box??

Seems nuts to have this many possible inputs without one of them being able to be used for films!

Thanks in advance.

You would have thought one of these would work whilst parked, does seem nuts these days with all the technology around that you cant play movies

Its a T6 there not that posh. I think some posh cars will play on the screen when stationary as you suggest...

I remember it was fairly easy to on BMW back in my M days. Think I'd just watch it on my phone now, the screen's better

I've just sold an Audi A6 Ultra Black Edition, it worked fine on there, when you exceeded 10Km per hour the screen went blank and you just had audio. I would be great if I could get it working, failing that I would be looking at replacing the headunit, but understanding that they are not transferable between vehicles and therefore rendering it useless so no re-sale value I would have to seriously think about it.... or wait a while longer! :-(

On my last T5.1 ,I had the rns510 and I am sure it could play a dvd .
And you could have it set up to play on the move ,not very safe though.

They would still be a pita if it did work. The head unit only stays on for 20 minutes then the ignition needs to be turned off and back on again. Not the best for watching films on :thumbsdown:

On my last T5.1 ,I had the rns510 and I am sure it could play a dvd .
And you could have it set up to play on the move ,not very safe though.

I had a RNS510 in a 2015 Touareg and it did play dvds , does seem VW are going backwards a bit!!!

Hi,
I found one question from a few years ago but no answer.

Is it possible to have a movie playing via the head unit when parked.. ignoring any 20 min power cut offs etc ?

I don't mind doing a flash or basic coding updates.

I haven't had a go myself but if you install CarBridge on your iPhone it displays all iOS apps on your head unit via CarPlay. You can then use any of the apps on your iPhone, I think you have to JailBreak your iPhone (or maybe not if you look at the link) and it might need an older version of iOS. Some info here: How to install CarBridge without jailbreak

Good luck ....

Is this still a thing? Wouldn't you be better just watching it on a phone or ipad which is about the same size and can sit in front of you without having to crick your neck.

Back