Motorbike Transport

I've seen one before on the back of a motorhome. Yes, great idea. Problem is, try and find a towbar that is rated to 200kg to mount it on. I've a 300cc Vespa that I'm keen to mount on a rack, on the back of my van but its 150kg. Add the weight of any rack itself to that and it's way over the rating for the towbar.

Cate make a rack the mounts directly to the chassis rails. But the parts are expensive.

I think this link is just for the adapters without the frame.

UK Leisure Parts Ltd. - Cate adapter VW T5

Last edited:
I had a similar thing for the LWB T5 Autosleeper Topaz, for a Zip 50... it was a manual lift though using the vertical support as a lever. I think I still might have it, last time I saw it, it was rusty as... I'll try to find a pic of it on the van, not sure I have one as it was before smartphones and digital cameras... at the time it didnt bother me but its all behind the rear wheels so the effective weight on the rear axle is even more (and of course correspondingly less on the front), you'd need to watch your axle weights with a bike rather than a 90kg moped like the Zip. I never used it much it was too much of a faff, removing the towball and manhandling a heavy steel frame into place whilst threading bolts and worrying about damaging the tailgate...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen one before on the back of a motorhome. Yes, great idea. Problem is, try and find a towbar that is rated to 200kg to mount it on. I've a 300c Vespa that I'm keen to mount on a rack, on the back of my van but its 150kg. Add the weight of any rack itself to that and it's way over the rating for the towbar.

Cate make a rack the mounts directly to the chassis rails. But the parts are expensive.

I think this link is just for the adapters without the frame.

UK Leisure Parts Ltd. - Cate adapter VW T5

Maybe I have it wrong, but the weight is not on the tow bar due to the design. Someone I know has one but on a campervan and not a VW, but it could very well be it's only suitable for a campervan...

With this version with castors, there isnt much weight on the towbar, if you want to make that kind of investment.

Easy-Lifter Hydra Trail - Tel: 01509 268400 - £1195.00 Inc VAT

But studying the pictures of the Easy Lifter in your link @welshbaron , I cant see any other load baring point of contact with the vehicle in any of the photographs, other than at the towbar itself.

Thinking I'll end up resorting to using a small trailer and taking the hit with the restricted speed limits instead.

With this version with castors, there isnt much weight on the towbar, if you want to make that kind of investment.

Easy-Lifter Hydra Trail - Tel: 01509 268400 - £1195.00 Inc VAT

But studying the pictures of the Easy Lifter in your link @welshbaron , I cant see any other load baring point of contact with the vehicle in any of the photographs, other than at the towbar itself.

Thinking I'll end up resorting to using a small trailer and taking the hit with the restricted speed limits instead.

Yea, suspect you may be correct. I emailed asking for more information and hence me posting on here to find out if anyone has used with a VW. Really don't want a trailer if I don't have to..

Hi. I’ve got an Easylifter scooter ramp, not the hydraulic one, and am looking to fit it to a towbar on my T6. Has anyone done this before? I’m a little concerned actually as I see the nose weigh for a T30 is 100kg in the spec sheet. Given the ramp itself weighs about 30kg it doesn’t leave much. I’ve seen pictures with people carrying 600cc sports bikes. Any view on this? I have a 150kg towbar and my bike is quoted as being 111kg. Any advice welcomed

Some info here. Been looking at this to, but my scooter is too heavy for a tow bar mounted rack. The Cate rack would do the job, but it's expensive and I don't fancy drilling holes in the bumper to make it fit. Think I'm resigned to adapting an old trailer that I've had for some time, into a bike trailer.

Has Anyone Fitted The Cate Motorbike Carrier/rack?

Is the Cate the answer though? I am assuming the limitation is not the rack itself but the VW specified maximum nose weight which is stated as 100kg. I guess this is due to the load subjected on the rear axle which won’t be any different whichever rack type is used, or am I over thinking things

Newbie here
Hi I’m currently looking at the easy lifter with the hydraulic lift I have asked for the weight so I can match to my scooter weight. What is the nose weight allowed on a T6.1 camper please also anyone bought one since this initial post please many thanks

Back