'Air Mattress only' style anyone ?

Jonbee

Hi all , thanks for reading

I'm on my 2nd van , 1st was a full professional conversion including 1200 Rib bed, which was pretty much wasted on me . I never fired up the hob & I used 1 sink full of water/dishwashing , the fridge I did use , but nothing that a good coolbox wouldn't suffice for , I also found the bed , whilst good quality, a little hard , even with a 2" bespoke memory foam topper .

My intention with this 'part conversion' is to keep it mostly as a van, that, if necessary I can still transport my motorbike in to further afield 'ride-outs' BUT fit the floor with Unwin-Koller rails for occasional seating , insulate/sound proof the interior and fit a decent diesel heater , so using the van as a big robust tent in effect, with an awning for all my camping equipment - cooking etc , as I did before.

My question is ; does anyone or have you ever simply had an air mattress in the back and would you recommend it ?

TIA

Reactions: CAB
Same here. Full conversion wasted on me.
Depending on what I have got in the boot I use a 10 quid pool air bed mattress bought at Aldi or single full size mattress if enough space in the boot. Decent diesel night heater and decent insulation will work. I suggest an external power unit for nighttime lighting and accessories, laptop, Tv.

Same here. Full conversion wasted on me.
Depending on what I have got in the boot I use a 10 quid pool air bed mattress bought at Aldi or single full size mattress if enough space in the boot. Decent diesel night heater and decent insulation will work. I suggest an external power unit for nighttime lighting and accessories, laptop, Tv.
As in some sort of powerbank or a hook up cable for campsites etc . My laptop is my TV and I'm finding for a single night, the charge lasts OK, but I'm all ears for recommendations for alternatives for longer stays, particularly 'off grid'

Same here
We have a full conversion, never used sink or cooker
Bought another van and have converted it to full width bed on rails, so kombi one day for grand kids then next day a bed or slide back forward for max room
Diesel heater carpet lined, insulated, pop top and blinds

A van for pretty much every event

We use a cadco unit in our van, which is a narrow, with drawer.
We use a vango self inflating mattress on the top and it works a treat.

Same here
We have a full conversion, never used sink or cooker
Bought another van and have converted it to full width bed on rails, so kombi one day for grand kids then next day a bed or slide back forward for max room
Diesel heater carpet lined, insulated, pop top and blinds

A van for pretty much every event

That's spot on
Do you find that works better for you ? Its still not 'cheap' conversion, but the versatility is what appeals to me , I'm in the process now , you say 'blinds' , which sort ? I've read good and bad about the vanshades type, but they do look good IMO

......insulate/sound proof the interior and fit a decent diesel heater , so using the van as a big robust tent in effect, with an awning for all my camping equipment - cooking etc , as I did before.

My question is ; does anyone or have you ever simply had an air mattress in the back and would you recommend it ?

TIA
This is how I do it as I also use the van for work. Another plus is using the air bed in the van during cold weather or into the awning during hot weather. The air mattress is well comfy and the sleeping bag, pillow, mattress and pump all fit in an easy grab holdall.

Back