Moll replacement.....doubts

Vinci

Residential Surveyor
T6 Guru
A while back, a very nice man from VW Assist replaced my generally accepted as defective Moll battery with a new Varta one.
Until recently, no concerns. However, in the last week or so, the van has been slightly reluctant to start....it always has, but sometimes without enthusiasm, if you know what I mean.
I popped into Simply Surf Bus to have a chat (really nice guys, came away with new wheels..see my post elsewhere), where on leaving, the van wasn’t keen. Top man and Co boss, Dan, popped my bonnet and said he thought, given my stop start, there should be an AGM battery, as in the van’s being converted. Dan rang a contact in VW who confirmed my battery was indeed the one listed for my 2017 T6 Highline 150.
Please would anyone in the know out there, throw in their view, please?

I just fitted a new varta from TPS that was an agm should be written on the top

Efb normally put on cars in my experience not vans they are in my opinion not upto the needs of bigger vehicles

Ok, thank you, basically EFB are ok, but cheaper alternative to AGM batteries.

FWIW, the battery in my 2018 150Ps manual is an Varta EFB - I got the van at a year old and under 4K miles but I believe it’s the factory fit. The van is not used much in winter in particular and I sometimes get alarmed at how low the voltage goes and therefore stick it on charge with a CTEK MX5.0. When I had an auto electrician fit my Autowatch Ghost, I asked him to test the battery and it passed as OK. The leisure system is supposed to ensure a trickle into the starter but when there’s no sunshine.................

Last edited:
Interesting....definitely a faulty batch of Molls then....shame VW weren’t worried about customer care.

Back