Status 1 Camper Conversions, Batley

joe_j_barnes

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Didn’t think I’d be posting on here over my experience on after sales since having my van converted by these guys but almost 2 years on and the amount of issues and remedial snagging that’s had to be resolved I would never expected in all honesty.

The post ownership and after sales support is probably the worst I’ve experienced in any purchase I’ve ever done, from constant chasing week after week via email phone and texts is alarming.

Most recently a small roof repair that they agreed to support in part funding a new one has no gone to radio silence and after many many requests of mine I feel that’s now been false promises of which I now need to find further, all this has come at a great cost of over 35k of my well earned saving.

These guys do not see that it’s our dreams to own such a thing and they don’t have any consideration of this other than earning cash.

I hope that my issues are isolated but over the course of my time I don’t think that this is, I love my van and wished the after-sales matched the look but such has not been possible.

I feel that I need to share this as any Willing new customers should have the option to hear feedback as I was looking and even travelled many a distance before going this way unfortunately this kind of feedback isn’t easy to find.

Originally picked up my van all nice and finished paid for full package and extra

On day of pick up no
No DRLs - was told didn’t realise
No EHU cable as per package
No chopping board
Marks on the fiamma awning
No cushions or side rollers
No bumper protector
Wardrobe catch didn’t work
Pop top rubber seal rusted in corner and started ripping
Wrong tint on rear window
White spots on pop top roof
All above was included in package and was told they would sort.

3 months sent by and many attempts to sort eventually DRLs in post with cushions

Called and asked on plan for DRLs expected me to fit myself - had to pay a company locally to do at a cost of £100 Statusone wouldn’t pay but expected me to pay twice.

Cushions wrong colour posted - black and internal cushioning hanging out, asked for the right colours to match my van Grey as same as interior gold they don’t do grey?

Website and social media posts clearly shown they do.

Rubber for pop top comes in post after another 2 months again sane as DRLs expect to fit myself

This is all within 3 months and as part of the original day snagging list.

6 months in two tear tyres replaced less than 4 k miles. No response when calling and asking why - £600 cost to me to fix.
Alloy paint flaking/ bubbling at 6 moths old
Further set since then and now on 3rd set lowered van which looks to not have been correctly aligned. Overall cost so far £1500

7 months in Found very small nic in fly mesh of pop top called to no avail snd after 3 months approx managed to start talking on possible support.

agreed to take to workshop and leave in winter to allow them time to inspect and plan and fix some other snagging lists.
Catch on cub board face of side board coming away lighting not working and few other snagging bits.

Left as agreed in workshop for 2 months again additional costs absorbed my myself but happy to work to be done and managed to at least make a plan through becoming a pain in the arse - even tho still under warranty

Pick up after winter fixes.

Correct cushions in place
EHU supplied
Chopping board

No other work completed, asked re roof to be answered we need the space now and we need time to plan -

Two months goes by nothing

Chasing again and again with my resolving to drive down and have it out with them.

Agreed to support costing at £600 as needed new roof and not covered under warranty.

Agreed and still trying to move forward on gentleman’s agreement- that was 4 months ago and counting, I have now radio silence again.

It pains me to put this on here but I feel you should be well informed before you make any life changing decisions with your hard earned cash.

My van now is fixed on all above but many from me sorting apart from my roof which am looking for a replacement at some point

Anyway rant over and I am considering next steps as it does not sit well with me and I have given so many opportunities for them to come good I can only put this down to pure greed and not being customer focused.

Joe, sorry to hear about your Status One woes and I hope you get all remaining issues sorted to your satisfaction.

I don't have extensive experience of this company, but the little I do have accords with your conclusions re their greed and poor customer care.

I visited them during the first Covid lockdown (don't ask!!). They advertised sourcing/converting used vans with 3 levels of conversion, but were only interested in selling new vans with one of their top 2 conversions. They were very pushy and tried to hurry me into a decision - "don't miss out on one of our next batch of vans" they said. I was tempted as their conversions looked very sexy (so I can fully understand why you bought one), but much credit here goes to Mrs Bav who counselled to buy with my head, not my heart. Wise words as, on reflection, I concluded they were just out to make a fast buck during the staycation boom.

In terms of their customer care "expertise", my experience is limited to a couple of times when I contacted them to ask questions - once when I was considering buying one of their vans off a former customer of theirs and once when I wanted to buy one of their front splitters. On both occasions they blanked me, which says it all really.

I realise there's nothing startling or major about the above - certainly not compared to your experience - but if it helps to paint a picture for others of this outfit, then all the better!

Hi, doesn’t sound good, and agree these vans are not cheap so need to be done properly. We always treat vans as though they were our own and don’t understand how others don’t do the same.

I cant comment on other companies work ethics but I can say that we have seen so many problems and bad workmanship in vans, it pains me sometimes. Reminds me of that VW advert where the beetle is crying at the mods its had.

Anyway, I am not sure what their conversions are like, bespoke, churned out etc but I can say that with bespoke work we find sometimes its very difficult to keep to schedules, just down to the nature of the work, a 10 min job ends up taking 2 days etc.

We list all works to be done which customer signs off on prior to work. This can change as we go along due to what we find in the van or if customer changes mind. If the items you list are missing, you need to ensure these were listed on the scope of works, if so they should supply them, if not unfortunately, ‘thinking’ these were included is not really fair to the company.

Some of the things you mention are easy fixes and should have ben picked up by the builder, not the customer!

I don’t know what parts they used, but decent quality parts generally don’t have problems.

Wheel paint, its difficult doe the type of wheel, how its been used, chips etc. We’ve seen similar on cheaper and more expensive wheels. From their point of view, they have supplied and fitted, not manufactured them, That said, they need to speak to their supplier to resolve the issue. But their supplier will likely tell them – not interested, so they are left without support and stuck in the middle. It happens more often than you think. We have left suppliers on numerous occasions due to the support not being there when you do have an issue

Fly screen, if this is 7 months old its hard to determine how it was caused so again I would say this is difficult one.

I would list everything you can prove should have been supplied, or damaged, or not correct when you collected the van and suggest that you have these works done elsewhere and they cover the bill. (we are not volunteering…:D) . We’ve done work a number of stimes similar to this. Its sometimes easier for the company just to pay out the money than resolve bit problems.

All the best, Ian

Last edited:
Thanks Ian

All the work has been done bar a few I can be ok with.
All of which were included in the deal and package.
The roof fry screen is the one I need to pick up now myself and look for a repair to be done or a new canvass and someone to fit

Thanks Ian

All the work has been done bar a few I can be ok with.
All of which were included in the deal and packageThe roof fry screen is the one I need to pick up now myself and look for a repair to be done or a new canvass and someone to fit

ok, if its just the fly screen can you leave as is or do a small stitch repair to stop getting worse? Fly screen doesnt do much really

ok, if its just the fly screen can you leave as is or do a small stitch repair to stop getting worse? Fly screen doesnt do much really
I can mate however am a guy who likes things to be as I’d expect so I do have a small repair over but very conscious that it’s there so want to have it fixed and also if wanting to sell in future would rather it’s sorted for longevity.

Hopefully the flies would disagree. :p
perhaps youre right, some fly screens are very fine and will keep mosquitos out, some are not so fine and just about keep a blue bottle out. Its the mozzies I’m concerned about when I’m away...;)

Back