Media + Stop / Start - Poss Related Fault ?

Nev-D

2018 T32 204bhp DSG COMBI HIGHLINE
T6 Pro
As with my media system fault with low battery readout could this be related to my recent stop n start event we had a couple of weeks ago as below ?

Here is something that happened a couple of weeks ago which makes me think something is wrong as well, We drove from Newcastle upon Tyne down to Windermere about 2.5 to 3 hours drive and as we approached Windermere the stop start feature started to work by itself when we in the town part but it has never ever come on before since we have had the van (3 months) and then it went off again by itself,
And it has never worked again since then, could this be related to the low power for the media system ???

No we have not had the battery tested yet but it is all looking towards it, the battery fitted is a Varga not a MOL so it may have been changed at some time but I will get the batt checked Using your advice do you think the van should go back to the dealers as it still has 2 years warranty plus another 2 yrs on top so it may come under that bearing in mind we have only had the van for 3 or so Thanks

Is your AC on permanently? My Stop/Start doesn't seem to work when I'm running my A/C. Oddly enough, VW regard this as 'normal'.

Is your AC on permanently? My Stop/Start doesn't seem to work when I'm running my A/C. Oddly enough, VW regard this as 'normal'.
The engine needs to be running for AC to work - so VW disable stop/start when AC is on . . . giving you nice cool AC when you need it, at the cost of stop/start.

Ford on the other Hand allow stop/start when AC is on . . . . . . BUT the AC is shut off - giving you an annoying AC cycling where the AC goes cold/warn/warm/cold/warm

Not sure whos got it right . . . . but if its hot enough for AC . . . . Then I WANT AC - So i think VW have the right idea.

No we have not had the battery tested yet but it is all looking towards it, the battery fitted is a Varga not a MOL so it may have been changed at some time but I will get the batt checked Using your advice do you think the van should go back to the dealers as it still has 2 years warranty plus another 2 yrs on top so it may come under that bearing in mind we have only had the van for 3 or so Thanks
Yes, take it to dealers first:

tell them that the stop/start never seems to work and that you have low battery warnings . . . .

also make sure you havent got stuff plugged into the 12v sockets or OBD2 ports as these are live 24/7 and will drain the battery.

Yes, take it to dealers first:

tell them that the stop/start never seems to work and that you have low battery warnings . . . .

also make sure you havent got stuff plugged into the 12v sockets or OBD2 ports as these are live 24/7 and will drain the battery.
Yes got you, as the only thing we have plugged in is the dash cam and we remove when parked every time we park up Thanks for the info and we will book it in with them,

The engine needs to be running for AC to work - so VW disable stop/start when AC is on . . . giving you nice cool AC when you need it, at the cost of stop/start.

Ford on the other Hand allow stop/start when AC is on . . . . . . BUT the AC is shut off - giving you an annoying AC cycling where the AC goes cold/warn/warm/cold/warm

Not sure whos got it right . . . . but if its hot enough for AC . . . . Then I WANT AC - So i think VW have the right idea.

That's interesting.

And yeah, I'd also want the AC than the S/S.

Funny I was under the impression that if AC was on SS doesn't work, noticed recently that is not the case as I left AC on and SS started working,

My start-stop will cut in with the AC on as long as the cabin is within the target temperature if waiting outside a shop and the temperature rises it will restart the engine to begin cooling.

LOl . . .yes i should be more specific. . . . . as @Loz says.

For the AC compressor to run the engine needs to be running as its belt/pully driven . . . (to compress the AC charge)

But, the AC compressor cycles on/off as required and controlled via the HVAC and ECM via a clutch and internal/external temperature monitors and a solar level sensor. . . so there are short time-slots that the AC compressor is not running . . . . but the AC is still blowing cold air from the evaporator, as @Loz says keeping the cabin at the requested temp set on the Climate control .

A short while later as the Pressure in the AC drops . . . . the HVAC will request the compressor to be switched on and via the ECM the engine will be restarted.

Another reason is that if stationary the AC will command the front engine bay fans to come on slowly to keep air flowing over the AC condenser . . . . this will be monitored by the "energy management system" and if you battery is not fully 80% full etc it will keep the engine running for the alternator to supply the electrical load.

So the very basic version is that if you are stationary for an extended time with a high AC request/demand then stop/start will be disabled to prioritize the AC (ie compressor and fans running).

But on an outing the other week when it was HOT in a new MY19 Mondeo estate . . . i noticed that stop/start kicked in like normal . . . . but the AC dropped out and the fan speed lowered. Sitting in traffic for a while the AC just started blowing warm external air . . . . . until we moved off. at which point the AC kicked back in again giving us cold air . . . . . until we stopped again !! - i though it was odd at the time ( i suppose you could always turn off the stop/start on those occasions)

Last edited:
UPDATE Re media low battery & Stop Start not working
After members advice my van was booked into VW 4 weeks ago to sort this out and they replaced the battery under warranty even though it looks like the battery had already been changed as it was not the MOL type that members have been saying BUT it only worked for 1 day on both the media switching off prematurely and today 27/11/2019 it has been back to the VW dealers for another check up and they have told me it is down to the main battery leads?..... They have ordered a new set and the van is booked in again for next week......... Fingers crossed it will be repaired but we will wait and see as I have never heard of that before My van is around 15 months old on an 18 plate

Wow, the main cables.

I wonder what's happened there.....

Wow, the main cables.

I wonder what's happened there.....
No idea as we have only had the van for about 4 months and in my time in the motor trade I never heard of the main cables being faulty like this but we will find out when they fit them but I will ask them when it goes in next week.

Maybe a loose conection somewhere causing cable damage..?

It's a long shot but maybe ask them if you can see the old one when its replaced just you understand the problem..... and take a cheaky pic or 2.

Maybe a loose conection somewhere causing cable damage..?

It's a long shot but maybe ask them if you can see the old one when its replaced just you understand the problem..... and take a cheaky pic or 2.
Yes I am going to do that as it might happen again sometime for future reference.

The media unit is supposed to be fed via a voltage stabiliser to stop it suffering low voltage drop outs, is the voltage stabiliser working/operating normally?

The media unit is supposed to be fed via a voltage stabiliser to stop it suffering low voltage drop outs, is the voltage stabiliser working/operating normally?
Sorry for the delay in replying to you but in answer to your message I don't know as yet as the dealers have told me that they have ordered the main battery cables and they did not mention anything else but hopefully we will find out when they get the van in next in approx 8 days time due to a backlog on the parts ordered, that tells me they must go through a lot of them possibly ? At the moment though I don't know what they have done as they told me they have done a temp repair and the van is working 100% now? Thanks.

Back