Electrical issues.

Red16

Hi Everyone,

I didn't start my T6 for around 3 weeks over Christmas and the battery seemed to die. Was getting about 11.8v and was told I needed a new battery. So I bought one and things seemed ok for about 6 weeks. Then when I started the van I'd get random faults flash up. Start-stop fault (start stop feature has never seemed to work), the glow plug light on a few occasions would flash whilst I was driving, then it has started to slow turn over sometimes, almost looking like it wouldn't start at all but then after up to 7-8 attempts it would fire up.
The gear numbers on the display will be wrong like when I'm in 5th gear it'll says 2>3, now an ad blue min 1.00 gallon max 1.00 gallon has come up when I havent longed filled it. That has stayed up on screen.

It has me very concerned and we have a big family tour of Europe planned in 2 weeks with all ferries and camps booked etc

Anyone have any experience of something similar or any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Do T6 batteries need coding? If so did you do that? Maybe it is finding its own voltage level or if you didnt code it hasnt recognised a new battery so the alternator isnt charging correctly as it thinks it has lower voltage than is there?

These are just somethings I have seen on this page however I dont know if that is also for a T6 as I really only focus on 6.1 This thread got moved to page 2 already so this might bump you up.

Do T6 batteries need coding? If so did you do that? Maybe it is finding its own voltage level or if you didnt code it hasnt recognised a new battery so the alternator isnt charging correctly as it thinks it has lower voltage than is there?

These are just somethings I have seen on this page however I dont know if that is also for a T6 as I really only focus on 6.1 This thread got moved to page 2 already so this might bump you up.
That's interesting. I've never heard of such a thing. Would be amazing if that was the case and such a simple fix though

I’m sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon but I wonder if you battery has a poor earth, if you have a jump lead you could check by putting it on the negative terminal and onto the engine block; just a thought

New batteries do need coding but should sort themselves out after about 10 starts/drives from experience provided on here. Testing the neg connection is a good call. Also have a good look to make sure you’ve not got water getting in somewhere near a major connector or fuse box (under battery or under dash).

I’m sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon but I wonder if you battery has a poor earth, if you have a jump lead you could check by putting it on the negative terminal and onto the engine block; just a thought
What will it do if I put the lead from neg terminal to engine block? If it's good or if it's bad?

If the main earth is loose/damaged/badly connected the jump lead will bridge the gap and give you a good connection

I've had the battery coded in now and so far so good.
Been told that all the sensors don't get the full voltage they need so they all start going off as if there is issues but it's just power issues.

I'll update if it plays up again

Back