Man in a shed websites

drinfinity

VIP Member
T6 Legend
With a build date pencilled in, I’m firming up my conversion plans. Specifying equipment is part of my day job, but the vendors for van stuff seem to be competing for the most opaque product info. I think the marketing brief was “can you make us look like two blokes in a garage with an angle grinder”.

Pop tops - possibly my preferred vendor has a site plagued with circular links, at least 3 different prices for the same item, dimensions missing, no comparative list of variants. Two days of trying on the phone and I got a similarly vague response. Apparently a new site is 8 weeks away. At least they do prices and detail their canvas material. Most of the others miss this bit out.

Tanks - that well known underslung tank company. They must have some CAD drawings, but the public info looks like it was sharpied on a beermat down the pub.

Beds - how high is it? How long folded up? Volume under the seat? No, there’s only one European company that has all that online, and it doesn’t have the features I need.

If I want a full conversion, or a sliding bed that’s twice the price of everyone else, the info is out there.

/rant

I don’t think that situation is unique to the suppliers you‘ve come across in the context of a campervan.

A shite website will put me off every time and there are plenty out there - whether it is the local tradesman, driveway company, garage door installer, hairdresser, vet, independent restaurant/takeaway etc etc.

There really is no excuse these days not to have a website that looks good and more importantly includes lots of pictures and accurate, detailed text/product descriptions.

I feel your pain.

Shiny websites dont mean the product/service is good nor does a rubbish website mean the product/service is poor.

I’m with you on the technical detail though!

I’ve found talking to owners and checking out their vans has been the best way to find out what I want. The forum is also a fantastic research tool and if you cannot find what you’re looking for then post a new question. There has been many times I’ve shot outside to grovel under the van to get a picture or measure something.

Regards
Ian

Back