Help with conversion choice

joe_j_barnes

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi Guys,

I’vehad my van over 18 months now and am at the stage in the next few weeks of sending it in to be converted.
I’ve drove to 3 preferred companies and chosen 1 ( November booking )

my budget was £25k but am struggling to have my wish list at this price, not wanting to compromise on my list is causing me issues with choices now,
Reimo open sky roof
Clayton power unit
Reimo skidding bed
Night heater

I’ve been thinking of a rib bed rather than Reimo but reason for Reimo is availability of boot space onceloading up and the fact three seats in backas apposed to two,

I know what I want in my conversion so considering to take to my choice of converters and use my budget for my list then chip away at the remaining 8K over time.

many advice appreciated, do I compromise or stick to my wish list and get the best of materials for resale and comfort.
For info mine is SWB 204DSG in indium grey
Joe.

Joe,

The price seems a little heavy, but if you're adding a couple of lithiums in the mix maybe it's about right... Does it have to be lithium powered...?

I suppose the diesel heater could always be added later... But definitely get the roof and the bed right from the start...

Thanks Jason,

I want the choice of off grid really hence the Clayton but willing to get solar but want a roof box so don’t know if solar would work out roof box to store all camping accessories, wind breakers and stuff.

almost ready to press go but it’s a lot of money and don’t want to make bad decisions and regret in future my friend got his done for 10K but compared to the Reimo is only get a roof and rear seat at that price, my wife thinks why it’s so much so uphill struggle.

Overall it will cost me 33K to have the van kitted our with what I want, but 25K is only on the cards for now.

leaning towards Reimo roof , Reimo seat on rails awning roof bars and carpet electrics leather, heater then adding cupboards and rear in future, I could then use for camping and the above would cost around 20K.

I know everyone's set up is different.... I'm 99% of the time off grid, but went with a 250W panel and 2 x 110ah AGM's, more than enough juice to keep everything powered up for a good few days without running the engine.... Especially with an additional power bank for charging phones and tablets, cameras etc...

I also was going with a roof box, but it's a pain loading and unloading it without steps.... So decided to go with a thule tilting backspace box which is a neat solution for 300 litres extra storage capacity... Maybe an idea for you to weigh up...

It might be worth speaking to the converter to get his take on what he can easily add on later... Some things will cause him a lot more trouble adding on at a later date... This may help in decision making what to leave off for now..

First mistake, should have bought a LWB!

Just a thought, why not fit a high roof instead of a pop-top? So many folks shy away from a high roof but we find them warmer, quieter at night and give more storage space. We've had seven high roof VWs now and wouldn't ever go back to a pop-top.

@joe_j_barnes check out my build thread -

I decided against the Clayton unit as it only offers 100ah. I have twice that - and i can replace any individual component should there be an issue...

would recommend you going to see three bridge campers!

Thank you

I’ve visited 3 bridge but decided against them if honest I liked other layouts and designs.

anyone used status1 in Leeds?

First mistake, should have bought a LWB!
Just a thought, why not fit a high roof instead of a pop-top? So many folks shy away from a high roof but we find them warmer, quieter at night and give more storage space. We've had seven high roof VWs now and wouldn't ever go back to a pop-top.
This is a good suggestion - I've had two high-top LWB campers (Autosleeper Trophy & Topaz) and to have standing room at all times is just brilliant. Its more robust, more convenient, warmer, quieter, gives extra cupboard space, and overcab storage, no worries when its very windy, space for a proper bathroom... unless you need the pop-top bed, though some high-tops do offer a suspended bed. Disadvantages are that you cant get in some car-parks & recreation grounds, which never bothered me.
My present van has a pop-top so I have the pros & cons reversed now, I can go anywhere, park anywhere, but I have no upper storage and it can get chilly, and if its really windy I prefer to drop it overnight, and you do need to be really careful taking it up & down, a pop-top is easily damaged.
Horses for courses but I wouldn't dismiss a high-top without at least checking it out.
Cheers
Phil

PS Oh - and this pic reminded me that with a Fiamma on a high-top you can open the passenger door!
100A1630.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back