Man got Sika......

Deaky

Life’s too short to drink shite beer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've got a bit of Sikaflex left and plenty of time on my hands. Should I sort out this final VanDoc bodge or leave well alone :unsure:

619DF782-A79E-4ACD-A402-032580106408.jpeg

What's was the recommended layout . . . . ?

Fully seal the front edge.

Bond all the high ridges, and side edges.

But leave the lower ridges/troughs open for drainage, cooling and expansion.

Yet the other guide says fully bond the whole lot to stop expansion bumps/ridges . . . .

Suppose it depends on the quality of the panel and how thick the back layer is and its ability to resist warping.

How does that lay with your SikaFlex plans?

Were you planning to fully remove and refit the panel?

VD have laid the junction box of the panel on the roof, rather than cutting a hole in the roof for it to sit through. Causing the bulge at the back. I’m thinking of cutting the Sika back and peeling the panel up until I can get in with a Dremel and make the hole in the roof big enough for the junction box to go through, then stitch the panel back down flat. I’ll fill the ridges as they are now. It’s been on a couple of years with no issues.

Last edited:
The first way @Dellmassive mentions is how we done ours,same panel i think but our junction box is on the top so not as neat. I personally think it looks fine @Deaky but maybe if i was as handy at modifying things as you,i might be tempted. What are you thinking of doing,recessing the junction box?

If that’s the rear of the panel then I would be very happy for there to only be a small bump visible. Also I would be very worried about cutting into the roof!
65160F11-9B4C-4BF8-A133-4AAB63050EBE.jpeg
This is mine and the junction box is slightly more visible so by comparison yours is a beauty already.
What bugs me is that the 2 cables aren’t even equal lengths so been considering pulling the right one through a bit. Also I think I need to clean my roof now too!

I’m not worried about cutting a hole, there’s already one there. I’m just making it bigger :oops:

Rock on then:thumbsup:

If they cut a hole when it was originally installed why didn’t they cut it big enough in the first place?

I've read @Deaky 's build thread a few times and its not the only thing they didn't do that they should've done! Just do it Deaky,you'll be much happier with it when it's how you want it. @cgtmiles ,our junction box is on the top like yours but we used a twin entry cable gland,not the neatest but we don't mind how it looksIMG_5330.JPG

You’ve got a much bigger one than me! But the wife tells me size doesn’t matter is how well it works ;)

Unfortunately, in bright sunlight I’m getting this:
04F638BC-F20E-4FC7-962E-62703DA00BC2.png
I’ve just cleaned half of it and now it’s flickering between 1 and 2 watts. That can’t be right surely?

I'm no expert and i'm sure others will put this right but i think you need a load running off it for it to show big numbers

I’ve looked at this today, where the cables exit through the roof is well and truly gobbled up with Sika. It’s fair to assume that this is the case for the junction box too. I don’t think there will be a way to successfully free up the back of the panel without damaging the junction box, panel or the roof of the van. So I’m afraid I’m going to have to live with the bulge :thumbsdown:

Nevermind, it could be worse;)
F554B150-81FB-423B-91D9-9F2F247BA300.jpeg
Hope this makes you feel a little better with your bulge!

Back