Making USB & 12V sockets ignition controlled

Salty Spuds

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
We have just swapped our phones & the new ones have Magsafe wireless charging. They don't fit into our existing Brodit holders, so this is my plan:-
Modify the existing Brodit holders to take a Magsafe wireless charging "puck" like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08PVVBGH4/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1
Plug one of them into the USB port on the passenger side storage shelf & the other one into a USB cig plug in the top 12V socket on the drivers side. Currently both the USB & 12V sockets are permanently live from the Starter battery. I don't want the quiescent current from the magsafe chargers to flatten the battery, so I'd rather have them fed by an ignition controlled supply.
As far as I can see, the USB & 12V sockets are fed from fuses SC18 & SC40 respectively.
So the question is, can I just swap the outgoing leg of each supply fuse to the middle (ignition controlled??) row in the fuse box without screwing up something else down the line?
The van is a 2017 panel conversion without factory 2nd battery.

SC40 one should be ok, cig sockets are generally dedicated and i have checked the VW documentation and it shows that fuse supplying the top socket and nothing else

The usb on the passenger side is a bit different, there is more than one setup depending if you have twin usb outlets etc but the documentation show SC18 as supplying different bits so i guess it depends what you have factory fitted ?
Two-way signal amplifier for mobile telephone/data services -J984-
Storage compartment with interface for mobile telephone -R265-
Reversing camera -R189-
USB hub -R293-

Each of those lines is a factory option, you would only have a usb hub if you have twin usb outlets (comfort dash only i think)
If you only have a single outlet then pretty sure it is fed directly from headunit

Hi @Salty Spuds on this

Brodit have realised a fitting/bracket that is designed for the MagSafe puck if it is of use.
Yeah, I’ve seen that, but I think it only fits the genuine apple one afaik. I’m willing to be corrected though. I have the tools & materials to make up an adapter I.E excuse to play in the shed on a rainy afternoon with the heater on:whistle:

Each of those lines is a factory option, you would only have a usb hub if you have twin usb outlets (comfort dash only i think)
If you only have a single outlet then pretty sure it is fed directly from headunit
We have the twin USB sockets with the premium interface. I’m sat in the van as I type & it looks like the top socket is already is already ignition controlled, so that’s half the job done:thumbsup:image.jpg

Just the cig socket to twiddle then
I dont see why you couldnt just disconnect the load cable from the fusebox and move it over to a different (ignition) slot
Not sure if you have had your dash apart before but you do need to go at it a bit to get and the rear of the fusebox, is totally doable but you need a bit of commitment to dig in there !

Just the cig socket to twiddle then
I dont see why you couldnt just disconnect the load cable from the fusebox and move it over to a different (ignition) slot
Not sure if you have had your dash apart before but you do need to go at it a bit to get and the rear of the fusebox, is totally doable but you need a bit of commitment to dig in there !
Cheers, what could possibly go wrong? :whistle:

I have just done the top 12v cigarette lighter to double usb. Wasn’t too difficult (and I’m no leccy) with the help of this thread

Back