MagSafe and wireless carplay with RCD330

zaibs

I was inspired by Installing Apple Magsafe charger for iPhone 12 and thought that maybe someone will find my setup useful too.

I wanted to make Carplay experience seamless and also being able to easily charge the phone if I need to. I am using ESR HaloLock charger which unlike most MagSafe chargers, have a detachable cable so that I can swap it with a shorter one. It sits on top of Syncwire Magnetic Phone Car Mount.

For wireless Carplay, I modified RCD330 to have a rear USB and I have connected Carlinkit 4.0 to it. Carlinkit sits next to the fuse box. Initially, I planned to wire a USB socket to one of the central dashboard pockets, but then I realised that fuse box is good enough and doesn't require me to strip the dashboard to make a hole.

IMG_0483.jpeg
IMG_0484.jpeg
IMG_0486.jpeg
IMG_0239.jpeg

I was inspired by Installing Apple Magsafe charger for iPhone 12 and thought that maybe someone will find my setup useful too.

I wanted to make Carplay experience seamless and also being able to easily charge the phone if I need to. I am using ESR HaloLock charger which unlike most MagSafe chargers, have a detachable cable so that I can swap it with a shorter one. It sits on top of Syncwire Magnetic Phone Car Mount.

For wireless Carplay, I modified RCD330 to have a rear USB and I have connected Carlinkit 4.0 to it. Carlinkit sits next to the fuse box. Initially, I planned to wire a USB socket to one of the central dashboard pockets, but then I realised that fuse box is good enough and doesn't require me to strip the dashboard to make a hole.
In the last photo the one of the rear or the unit did you get the usb adapter or is it already factory installed?

In the last photo the one of the rear or the unit did you get the usb adapter or is it already factory installed?
I installed the rear usb adapter. It is a simple job but you need to solder. There are many articles and videos on youtube.

Back