Main Vw Dealer Lowered Suspension

RHD

Hi
I have booked in my t32 kombi in for a 30 mm lowering at the main dealer , I’m running on amrock 20” rims , it just looks like it sits to high at the min , after looking on forum there are a multitude of variations
I’m not sure how they are lowering it ? Should I cancel or has anyone already let them do it ?

The 30mm Eibach springs are quite harsh and will feel very uncompromising on 20’s. If springs is your budget then I would recommend H&R -40mm.
There are also other suspension options for higher budgets.

Cheers
It’s on standard from new at the minute, would it be a bit softer on the h,r 40 mm springs ?

It will be more compliant and less crashy than the Eibach, but firmer than standard.

I had 30s fitted at Vw. Albeit I don’t have 20s, I disagree With the harsh comment. They were quite comfortable

I had 30s fitted at Vw. Albeit I don’t have 20s, I disagree With the harsh comment. They were quite comfortable

They are harsh with 20’s. We have removed lots of Eibachs to replace with H&R’s, and removed lots of H&Rs and replaced with B14’s.

I find it difficult to comprehend that a 30 mm drop is more harsh than a 40 mm when you consider that the Eibach springs are advertised as comfort springs ?? . However the industry seems to be completely oblivious to the fact that the ride quality comes from the shock absorber not the spring , so any suspension mod done with out performance SHOCKS is a huge compromise and results will be poor . changing springs from one brand to another is a complete waste of money!!!! .
The customers who think that their cars ride bad on springs alone and the solution is a Coil over ( or sleeve over ) kit are wrong ! all they need to do is fit a proper performance Shock. The standard shocks Can not cope well in lowered vans and the springs shouldn't get the blame !
There are so many misleading comments made about suspension mods and owners are spending unnecessarily and often end up with an expensive kit that isnt that much more comfortable.
Another important point that i have made many times is that fitting large wheels with standard shocks is also a problem , The classic comment on this forum is " I have fitted 20 inch wheels and a 40 mm lowering kit and the ride is bad ? Of course it will be the Standard shock isn't particularly great on a standard car and now you increase the unsprung weight by fitting heavier larger wheels and limited the movement on the shock shaft by lowering . Its a recipe for a nightmare in reality . Many van owners go back to smaller wheels or lift the van back up out of frustration. Sadly all that is needed is a sport adjustable damping SHOCK and the problem is solved.

My advise to RHD is to fit the springs and wheels and try it . if the ride isnt great you can get a proper set of tuned shocks to sort it out .

Hi
I have booked in my t32 kombi in for a 30 mm lowering at the main dealer , I’m running on amrock 20” rims , it just looks like it sits to high at the min , after looking on forum there are a multitude of variations
I’m not sure how they are lowering it ? Should I cancel or has anyone already let them do it ?

You want an honest opinion.
If your main concern as you mention, is the fact it sits too high, then don't waste your time with springs, because when you go back to collect it, she will still be sat too high.
Loads of us have been through this, and loads of us have seen lowering springs as a waste of money.
I understand that coilovers aren't cheap, but 30 or even 40mm might just be an inevitable delay to doing the job properly, and all you will do is kick yourself that you spent a few hundred pounds that could of been put towards a set of coilovers.

I think what we have to remember here is the OP’s question, which is on springs and 20 inch wheel only....
So without hijacking the thread away from this too much, but adding our experience with Transporter suspension from over the years.
The standard ‘warranty friendly’ eibach 30mm springs are renowned for being harsh and used to be standard fit on the Sportline. They also don’t lower the van enough for most people. A sensible money upgrade instead is the H and R -40. 10 mm difference and they ride totally different, and we know this from experience, as do many customers. Lots of people lower their vans on springs, as their budget can’t go to shocks and springs. And lots of people are happy with how their vans ride on springs alone.
With the VW scene and the Transporter we all like our vans sitting lower on an 18/19/20 wheel. As we know, the lower we go the firmer it gets. The B14’s are an excellent and proven solution and at full height the ride is night and Day better than any spring alone, and gives you the opportunity to level or lower the ride further. 30/40 mm drops just aren’t enough for what the majority of customers are after. We have fitted hundreds of B14 kits and have only ever taken 1 off, due to the customer wanting to go for a swamper kit. Everyone is happy, and especially so with how much better it drives over standard.
I personally run a 204 4Motion stage 1, with every extra, so very heavy, and on 20’s, 15mm off the bottom on B14’s with H&R Arbs. Yes it’s firmer, but in a very controlled way, and a way I like my van to drive. It’s running approx 250ps on Gy F1 tyres, handles like its on rails and I do up to 20k a year in it with zero issues.
The state of our roads are really testing all suspension setups at present and comfort gets questioned as a result of potholes, ruts in the roads and uneven surfaces. As a company we are always looking for new solutions to run your vans lower on big wheels - Watch this space as we have some new coilover kit testing coming up in the next few weeks, for varying budgets- keep an eye out for the separate post on this, as the first kit arrived this week.
As we’ve always said suspension and ride and control is very subjective to individuals. What suits and is acceptable one person isn’t to another. We have customers running around on standard suspension who are very happy, and the same is said just for springs, and for B14’s.
Luckily we don’t all like the same thing or we’d have identical vans and set ups and how boring would that be?

HTH. We run various vans and suspension setups so please feel free to come down and have a few test drives and decide for yourself- we don’t run the eibachs and that speaks for itself.

Last edited:
I think what we have to remember here is the OP’s question, which is on springs and 20 inch wheel only....
So without hijacking the thread away from this too much, but adding our experience with Transporter suspension from over the years.
The standard ‘warranty friendly’ eibach 30mm springs are renowned for being harsh and used to be standard fit on the Sportline. They also don’t lower the van enough for most people. A sensible money upgrade instead is the H and R -40. 10 mm difference and they ride totally different, and we know this from experience, as do many customers. Lots of people lower their vans on springs, as their budget can’t go to shocks and springs. And lots of people are happy with how their vans ride on springs alone.
With the VW scene and the Transporter we all like our vans sitting lower on an 18/19/20 wheel. As we know, the lower we go the firmer it gets. The B14’s are an excellent and proven solution and at full height the ride is night and Day better than any spring alone, and gives you the opportunity to level or lower the ride further. 30/40 mm drops just aren’t enough for what the majority of customers are after. We have fitted hundreds of B14 kits and have only ever taken 1 off, due to the customer wanting to go for a swamper kit. Everyone is happy, and especially so with how much better it drives over standard.
I personally run a 204 4Motion stage 1, with every extra, so very heavy, and on 20’s, 15mm off the bottom on B14’s with H&R Arbs. Yes it’s firmer, but in a very controlled way, and a way I like my van to drive. It’s running approx 250ps on Gy F1 tyres, handles like its on rails and I do up to 20k a year in it with zero issues.
The state of our roads are really testing all suspension setups at present and comfort gets questioned as a result of potholes, ruts in the roads and uneven surfaces. As a company we are always looking for new solutions to run your vans lower on big wheels - Watch this space as we have some new coilover kit testing coming up in the next few weeks, for varying budgets- keep an eye out for the separate post on this, as the first kit arrived this week.
As we’ve always said suspension and ride and control is very subjective to individuals. What suits and is acceptable one person isn’t to another. We have customers running around on standard suspension who are very happy, and the same is said just for springs, and for B14’s.
Luckily we don’t all like the same thing or we’d have identical vans and set ups and how boring would that be?

HTH. We run various vans and suspension setups so please feel free to come down and have a few test drives and decide for yourself- we don’t run the eibachs and that speaks for itself.
Many thanks for all the replies , if I fit anything but the dealer eibachs will it affect my warranty as she’s only 9 months old ?

If you fit springs only VW wont honour warranty on the Shocks . Not sure what they would say about this if the Eibach is used as an approved product ( cant see it being easy to get out of that one ) I also don't see them having an answer if you are unhappy with the ride quality using their springs with standard shocks . , But if you have issues with the standard shocks use that as your excuse to fit proper ones !!

Many thanks for all the replies , if I fit anything but the dealer eibachs will it affect my warranty as she’s only 9 months old ?

If you fit the VW Eibach lowering springs your whole factory warranty is intact, for all parts, and this is a reason lots of people go for these springs. Anything else will invalidate the warranty on the suspension components, but they would have to prove it - Its a tricky one, and some dealers are really tough on non genuine parts, and others aren't. We’ve been working with VW transporters for over 15 years now, and I can’t remember the last suspension warranty issue we've had, that its had to go to a main dealer, in fact I’m not sure we've had one in any form, warranty wise.

Back