Lwb Van Conversion -pitfalls To Be Aware Of?

fidav

T6 Pro
Wondering if there are any pitfalls to be aware of when opting for a LWB van to convert.

For example :
-Any Engines /models to avoid
-For vans that are all ply panelled is there anything likely to be lurking under the panels that will cause me issues?
-is the insurance much dearer than a swb?
- any resale issues?
-or anything else I should be looking for ?

Thank you in advance !

No pitfalls different to a SWB.

Personally I consider the LWB to be a much more useful base vehicle to convert to a camper.

Having the experience of seven LWBs I can say that we find that parking is very little more of an issue than it would be with a SWB.

You can see one of mine at www.1946vw.co.uk now running a LWB T6 with REIMO high roof with similar conversion.

Mines a LWB t6 and that extra 400mm doesn’t sound much
But it gives you so much more room eg when the beds down
And you can have more storage and kitchen space.
I’ve never not been able to park it to date, so I wouldn’t
Worry on that one
Recommend LWB every time

LWB is the difference between being able to get out of bed & stand to get dressed & having to get dressed lying down.
LWB everytime.

Folks thanks for the replies but I was really asking if there was anything to watch out for when buying a LWB , not why to buy one over a SWB.
I’ve already weighed up the benefits of a lwb so plan on getting one.
Sorry, I don’t mean to sound ungrateful but I’m looking for info relating to the questions I’ve asked.

The only issue I can raise is when driving one. Give tight corners a wide berth otherwise you’ll curb the NSR wheel or worse case, take out the whole side if there’s a protective bollard!
As already mentioned, parking may need careful management...

Folks thanks for the replies but I was really asking if there was anything to watch out for when buying a LWB , not why to buy one over a SWB.
I’ve already weighed up the benefits of a lwb so plan on getting one.
Sorry, I don’t mean to sound ungrateful but I’m looking for info relating to the questions I’ve asked.

Why would buying a LWB be any different to buying a SWB? Strange question.
At least you've made the right decision in going for a LWB in the first place, makes a huge difference and not that much difficult to find a parking space (I always find somewhere to hang the back end over if space is tight).

OK so to answer your questions...
  1. There is a known issue with some variants of EGR valve on 180ps engines. A 102ps is truthfully too low power to enjoy a T5 or T6.
  2. There should be no difference between LWB & SWB as far as ply lining is concerned except for obvious damage from misuse applying to either models.
  3. I've never had the SWB / LWB question raised by my insurance.
  4. LWB probably better value especially to those who know the benefits of the extra space.
  5. The driving functionality of a LWB is identical to a SWB except for the obvious of being aware that it is a bit longer. That's a thing that you get used to within a couple of days at the most. The vehicle looks 'big' but with the very good visibility from the driving position this is instantly negated.
Rod

Why would buying a LWB be any different to buying a SWB? Strange question.
At least you've made the right decision in going for a LWB in the first place, makes a huge difference and not that much difficult to find a parking space (I always find somewhere to hang the back end over if space is tight).

That’s precisely what I am asking !

I have converted a 2009 SWB 1st then a 2014 LWB 2nd. there is no diff other than about 400mm longer.
last LWB van had the 103kw (147bhp approx) engine, which whilst good has a bit of turbo lag on take off my latest 2016 LWB that i will be starting on soon has the 133kw bi-turbo engine with DSG (approx 180hp) no turbo lag, better on fuel, and goes like stink :)
but yes the extra 400mm makes all the diff to living space. parking is still ok - its pretty much same footprint as my Ford Ranger.

LED Lights. A quick search on here will demonstrate how many people spend many hours and sometimes thousands of pounds upgrading their lights from the truly pathetic standard halogen candles to ensure they can drive safely at night. With the benefit of hindsight I wouldn't touch one without factory LED headlights.

LED Lights. A quick search on here will demonstrate how many people spend many hours and sometimes thousands of pounds upgrading their lights from the truly pathetic standard halogen candles to ensure they can drive safely at night. With the benefit of hindsight I wouldn't touch one without factory LED headlights.
Dave D, I do agree but the vw lights are beaten by a Toyota Avensis I had , nice car drove like a dream, but honestly the headlights made things darker at night! Weird ball bulbs things that couldnt be changed except for a fortune. Got rid of the car,,,, what on earth goes through the minds of the designers?

Back