New van conversion - the plan

denz1968

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all

Newish here and planning to buy a panel van to convert
So the plan so far

T30 or 32 LWB 2020 or newer, lowest milage i can get/afford - colour dependant on what is available
LED headlights

Nice to haves - Sat Nav with 8" screen, Rear parking camera

1) Strip out anything not needed - ply, bulkhead etc
2) Soundproof / insulate
3) Get pop top fitted & extra windows as needed
4) First electrics fix
5) Fit bed on slider rails
6) Fit kitchen and other units
7) Second fix electrics
8) Flooring
9) Soundproof cabin area

How does this sound as a rough plan for the conversion please

Thanks

I’d do first fix electrics before the insulation stage so you can easily get all the wires through.
Also, any wires that need to go front to back can be routed along the loom that goes up in the roof edge when the pop top is fitted.
I left the wiring coiled up at the top of the b-pillar and got the pop top fitter to drop them in for me.
Be a bitch to do once the pop top frame is trimmed and carpeted.

I’d do first fix electrics before the insulation stage so you can easily get all the wires through.
Also, any wires that need to go front to back can be routed along the loom that goes up in the roof edge when the pop top is fitted.
I left the wiring coiled up at the top of the b-pillar and got the pop top fitter to drop them in for me.
Thanks for that hint, noted.
So I need a pretty good idea electrically what I want to do first thing then :)

I spent the first few weeks on wiring, and running cables along the roof beams as they would be covered by pop top. You will probably need to take front seats out and lift floor coverings to wire battery and charger connections, so if you want stick some more soundproofing then

As it turned out, pop top fitter used screws for the roof beams, and I could take them out to fit more wires in, and cut the light fittings out.

Which slider are you going for?

Line the walls before fitting the floor. Fit kitchen on top of floor.

Which slider are you going for?
Reimo Variotech 3000 has taken our eye when we saw it at the show at Lincoln on the Knights conversions.

They have a 2 metre long bed which seems good as I am 6'2" tall. And the seat can be removed at a point to make the rear almost fully usable for load space if needed.

Last edited:
Reimo Variotech 3000 has taken our eye when we saw it at the show at Lincoln on the Knights conversions.

They have a 2 metre long bed which seems good as I am 6'2" tall. And the seat can be removed at a point to make the rear almost fully usable for load space if needed.
That’s the one I have. Really well engineered compared to the others, and you don’t need to crawl around underneath to undo the locking mechanism like several others. I was originally looking at YoYo Glidemotion, but they stopped doing LWB, then Titan but they wouldn’t do a 4motion fitting, so went Variotech and they did it with one week lead time.

That’s the one I have. Really well engineered compared to the others, and you don’t need to crawl around underneath to undo the locking mechanism like several others. I was originally looking at YoYo Glidemotion, but they stopped doing LWB, then Titan but they wouldn’t do a 4motion fitting, so went Variotech and they did it with one week lead time.
Did you fit yourself?

No, it has to be installed by the supplier. They bond it to the floor, with a jig to get it perfectly level and straight. They had a bit of stress getting it to clear the wheel arch, but I solved that for them with a mallet.

No, it has to be installed by the supplier. They bond it to the floor, with a jig to get it perfectly level and straight. They had a bit of stress getting it to clear the wheel arch, but I solved that for them with a mallet.
OK thanks for that, may send you a PM if that is ok

Hey @Bigsidavies - Was just having this conversation with my partner about wiring.. for the thermofleece i'll be using spray adhesive in certain parts to hold it in place. Going to assume any wires that need to cross these parts should go in front of the thermo fleece to avoid the hassle of getting to anything in the future if it went wrong?

Hey @Bigsidavies - Was just having this conversation with my partner about wiring.. for the thermofleece i'll be using spray adhesive in certain parts to hold it in place. Going to assume any wires that need to cross these parts should go in front of the thermo fleece to avoid the hassle of getting to anything in the future if it went wrong?
Yeah I’d tuck the thermofleece up behind the wires. However, when you come to fit it you’ll realise that it holds itself in place because it’s tucked down behind the metal edges of the bodywork. Any areas that bulge out will be easily pushed in when the relevant trim panel is affixed. I wouldn’t bother spray gluing them in it’s just more mess and more work.

Back