Lumpy idle [Resolved]

coupcoup

VIP Member
My van has developed a lumpy noisy idle. Sounds almost like it’s missing a beat. Come out of nowhere. Drive 200 miles at the weekend no problem. Filled up at shell. Ad blue is topped up. No reason for a problem. It’s done 41,000 miles and is a 2018 150 4motion

Any help would be much appreciated as I’m about to tow a caravan with it in a couple weeks for 400 miles.

My van has developed a lumpy noisy idle. Sounds almost like it’s missing a beat. Come out of nowhere. Drive 200 miles at the weekend no problem. Filled up at shell. Ad blue is topped up. No reason for a problem. It’s done 41,000 miles and is a 2018 150 4motion

Any help would be much appreciated as I’m about to tow a caravan with it in a couple weeks for 400 miles.

Do you have any lights on the dashboard, like EML, when it runs lumpy?
Does it have normal power when under load?

Your 1st point of call has to be scanning for fault codes via the OBD. DIY with carista, obd11 or vcds or scanned at a workshop.

Is the idle slightly raised? It could be trying to complete a regeration.

Idle not raised I don’t think. I took it for a drive and after a mile it felt normal with full power. Stopped it started it again and all was good. But when it’s cold it’s really lumpy. Could it be just rubbish diesel?

Another thread suggested they’d had a similar problem and it was a cam belt issue the timing had slipped. I know this is a couple months overdue a timing belt but that would be a coincidence wouldn’t it?

Had similar a couple of months ago - one garage diagnosed faulty EGR valve, another diagnosed faulty injector. Ended up replacing two injectors (ouch) and it's been fine since. Fingers crossed it's not that! (2016 Shuttle 84)

So started it yesterday evening and it was all Over the shop. Coughing and farting like no tomorrow. I contacted Brads garage in Aberfeldy. Callum, the trained VW tech there told me to buy a specific bottle of injector cleaner. A vw make. He supplied it actually and I put it in thinking there was no way it would do anything but unbelievably after a couple miles the diesel knock had gone and it was running smooth as. So highly recommend both the product and brads garage in aberfeldy.

D43C058C-51EF-42FC-A48F-BB5608643A28.jpeg

I had a similar issue recently. No errors kn vcds, no lights on dash. Never been a believer in v power etc however i filled up on this (that hurt the wallet) and added a diesel additive and after 4-5 days I've not had a lumpy start since so very happy!

Back