Rubbing wires causing breakdown, just out of warranty.. Your thoughts?

Potter

Hi all,
Well, we’re do I start? At the beginning I suppose.
Ok, back to October 3rd.
I,ve had my T6 LWB 4 motion, DSG from new (2017) 30,000 miles, one month out of warranty.
Over the moon with the van, never missed a beat, until now.
Whilst driving on a quiet B road (fortunately) the van seemed to jump out of gear, and lose drive power.
My immediate reaction was to try and get of the road, but alas, I couldn’t mange this.
Luckily, I’m a member of the AA, and they were with me within the hour, as the road was almost impassable.
After inspection, the patrol man informed me that he was unable to tow the van due to it being four wheel drive and automatic.
Two hours later, and the van was on a transporter, and as the local VW garage was closed, parked up in a secure place.
Monday morning, and I contacted Liverpool van center, as they originally supplied the van,only to be told that they couldn’t even look at it for three weeks due to the workload they had and due to my job I couldn’t be without my van for three weeks as my job requires me to use my van on a daily basis.
So, reluctantly, I contacted my local VW garage.
I say reluctantly, as had not heard any good reports about this particular dealership. However, I thought I would give them a go, as they could take a look that week.
I was a little shocked, as they told me I would have to get the van up to them, as they did not have access to a transporter..
Transporter arranged, and the van was delivered,
I informed the garage of the issue, and as it was due for a service, told them to carry out that at the same time.
Two- three days later, and I hadn’t heard from them, so a quick call, and they told me that everything was done, and all issues resolved.
I went up to collect the van, paid the bill (£500 +), and they said they’d bring the van round to me.
Service manager, then came in and said that I would have to wait a while, as it had broken down again.
Half an hour later, and the same service manager, told me that the problem was sorted, and a 5amp fuse had been replaced with a 7 amp, and this should resolve the issue, which I found slightly alarming, as I would never dream of putting a 13Amp fuse, in my toaster if it should be a 5 amp, as surely this would be a fire hazard?
Then the fun really begins.
I leave the garage, with what I was told was a fully repaired van, only to get 100 yards down a bus A road, and the same thing happened.
No gears, but this time I had the presence to keep it in neutral, enabling me to, with the help of a couple of guys, push it off the road.
Walked back up to the garage, handed the Keys in, a few choice words, and promptly booked a cab back to work.
During that journey, I thought I’d give the service department at Liverpool VW a quick ring, for advice and explained the situation.
The manager was basically aghast, at learning that a 5 amp fuse had been exchanged with a 7 amp, and suggested I report this to VWUK, as it’s a very serious and dangerous issue.
This I did , and a case was raised.
After many phone calls, and statements taken over the phone, and the VW garage in Stoke denying any knowledge of any issue, VWUK decided that no further action would be taken.
At this point, I decided to collect the van from Stoke, and again making my own arrangements for transportation, booked the van in at VW Liverpool.
A week goes by, and they cannot fault the van, so the van comes back to Stoke.
I run it for three days, without any fault, and then it jumps out of gear as before, in the middle of a busy main road.
Vey dangerous, and unnerving, as I’m sure you can imagine.
Back on a transporter, and back up to Liverpool ( all under my own expense, I might add).
10 days later, Billy, (the service manager at VW Liverpool) informed me that they have found the problem.
It appears to been, two wires that were worn, and blowing a fuse.
Van collected and now running perfectly. Fingers crossed.
I contacted VWUK and tried to explain everything that had happened, in the hope that they may contribute to the expenses that I had incurred ove the past five weeks, but as the the van was four weeks out of warranty, they basically weren’t interested whatsoever.
As it stands, and having added all my costs up, This now see’s me about £3,000.00out of pocket, and as you can imagine, not a very happy VW T6 owner.
Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome.

£3k !! Holly cow batman! Ouch thats got to hurt. Keep pressing for a goodwill contribution from VW if it was only a few weeks out of warranty and you've kept the he service up.

Hi all,
Well, we’re do I start? At the beginning I suppose.
Ok, back to October 3rd.
I,ve had my T6 LWB 4 motion, DSG from new (2017) 30,000 miles, one month out of warranty.
Over the moon with the van, never missed a beat, until now.
Whilst driving on a quiet B road (fortunately) the van seemed to jump out of gear, and lose drive power.
My immediate reaction was to try and get of the road, but alas, I couldn’t mange this.
Luckily, I’m a member of the AA, and they were with me within the hour, as the road was almost impassable.
After inspection, the patrol man informed me that he was unable to tow the van due to it being four wheel drive and automatic.
Two hours later, and the van was on a transporter, and as the local VW garage was closed, parked up in a secure place.
Monday morning, and I contacted Liverpool van center, as they originally supplied the van,only to be told that they couldn’t even look at it for three weeks due to the workload they had and due to my job I couldn’t be without my van for three weeks as my job requires me to use my van on a daily basis.
So, reluctantly, I contacted my local VW garage.
I say reluctantly, as had not heard any good reports about this particular dealership. However, I thought I would give them a go, as they could take a look that week.
I was a little shocked, as they told me I would have to get the van up to them, as they did not have access to a transporter..
Transporter arranged, and the van was delivered,
I informed the garage of the issue, and as it was due for a service, told them to carry out that at the same time.
Two- three days later, and I hadn’t heard from them, so a quick call, and they told me that everything was done, and all issues resolved.
I went up to collect the van, paid the bill (£500 +), and they said they’d bring the van round to me.
Service manager, then came in and said that I would have to wait a while, as it had broken down again.
Half an hour later, and the same service manager, told me that the problem was sorted, and a 5amp fuse had been replaced with a 7 amp, and this should resolve the issue, which I found slightly alarming, as I would never dream of putting a 13Amp fuse, in my toaster if it should be a 5 amp, as surely this would be a fire hazard?
Then the fun really begins.
I leave the garage, with what I was told was a fully repaired van, only to get 100 yards down a bus A road, and the same thing happened.
No gears, but this time I had the presence to keep it in neutral, enabling me to, with the help of a couple of guys, push it off the road.
Walked back up to the garage, handed the Keys in, a few choice words, and promptly booked a cab back to work.
During that journey, I thought I’d give the service department at Liverpool VW a quick ring, for advice and explained the situation.
The manager was basically aghast, at learning that a 5 amp fuse had been exchanged with a 7 amp, and suggested I report this to VWUK, as it’s a very serious and dangerous issue.
This I did , and a case was raised.
After many phone calls, and statements taken over the phone, and the VW garage in Stoke denying any knowledge of any issue, VWUK decided that no further action would be taken.
At this point, I decided to collect the van from Stoke, and again making my own arrangements for transportation, booked the van in at VW Liverpool.
A week goes by, and they cannot fault the van, so the van comes back to Stoke.
I run it for three days, without any fault, and then it jumps out of gear as before, in the middle of a busy main road.
Vey dangerous, and unnerving, as I’m sure you can imagine.
Back on a transporter, and back up to Liverpool ( all under my own expense, I might add).
10 days later, Billy, (the service manager at VW Liverpool) informed me that they have found the problem.
It appears to been, two wires that were worn, and blowing a fuse.
Van collected and now running perfectly. Fingers crossed.
I contacted VWUK and tried to explain everything that had happened, in the hope that they may contribute to the expenses that I had incurred ove the past five weeks, but as the the van was four weeks out of warranty, they basically weren’t interested whatsoever.
As it stands, and having added all my costs up, This now see’s me about £3,000.00out of pocket, and as you can imagine, not a very happy VW T6 owner.
Any comments or suggestions would be most welcome.
Absolutely SHOCKING customer service (lack of) from VW! These obnoxious dealerships do not deserve our custom! Keep pushing your case with VWUK and I can only wish you the best for a good outcome! :thumbsup:

Disgusting, when I worked at dealers we would push for goodwill for customers just out of warranty it’s good business sense if anything putting customer confidence in the dealer, I feel your pain I had to deal with the idiots at JCB Sittingbourne apparently the master tech looked at mine as I had to put it in reluctantly due to issue with the keys and thier product knowledge was practically none existent

Ouch. That sucks.
Where were the wires rubbing? I would be using words like ‘poor design of cable management’ and ‘not fit for purpose’ and ‘designed to fail’ in multiple combinations.

Do you know the details of the rub and could it have been contributed to work you have had done?

Also, has a vw main dealer been doing all the servicing?

Whilst pressing for goodwill, I would point out that the chafing of the cables must have started whilst it was still in warranty. Also that their design had not adequately protected these cables.
Very good argument

I think the devil is in the detail here. Exactly what wires got damaged and where ?
Got any photos ?

Pete

My argument with VW would centre around how and why the cables became worn.....as the potential to cause failure on The highway and result in catastrophic accident....this would or should cause VW to act ....design or product line fault...get any supporting documentation ...service history /support letter from Liverpool and if no action taken take it to trading standards as this issue would be a situation that goods are sold as Not fit for use ....“ David can beat Goliath “...also social media is a great tool if things drag on

My argument with VW would centre around how and why the cables became worn.....as the potential to cause failure on The highway and result in catastrophic accident....this would or should cause VW to act ....design or product line fault...get any supporting documentation ...service history /support letter from Liverpool and if no action taken take it to trading standards as this issue would be a situation that goods are sold as Not fit for use ....“ David can beat Goliath “...also social media is a great tool if things drag on
I agree with you but don’t under estimate the corporate lawyer, I think the best chance of a free repair is ‘Goodwill’, VW come out of it looking good but without being culpable.
A German car company does have history of denying responsibility for multiple fatal accidents in the 1990’s, heater matrix bursting and filling car with steam, car crashes. It was fixed with the addition of a very cheap and simple water diverter valve without any recall.

I agree with you but don’t under estimate the corporate lawyer, I think the best chance of a free repair is ‘Goodwill’, VW come out of it looking good but without being culpable.
A German car company does have history of denying responsibility for multiple fatal accidents in the 1990’s, heater matrix bursting and filling car with steam, car crashes. It was fixed with the addition of a very cheap and simple water diverter valve without any recall.
My own experience ( Honda ) ..you have to get passed the first customer service level and on to management and push the safety implications and as you say hope for a Goodwill gesture.....the last thing anyone wants is legal...but persistence can pay off :thumbsup:

Also, there was a service action back in 2017 where VW was aware of chafing cables that rubbed on the gearbox. It might be worth checking if that service action applied to your vin and whether it should have been checked/applied during a past service when it was in warranty.

Thanx for all your help with this matter guys,I will definitely follow this up in the new year with VW uk and let u all know how I go on.

I must admit, I’m quite irritated by the attitude of dealers and VWUK as reported in this thread. As @Loz says, the cables didn’t suddenly chaff overnight

Hi All,
Happy New Year"
Just thought I'd give you an update of where I'm at with this one:
"Nowhere"
VWUK not interested in the slightest, even though I explained the whole scenario, along with the following post from some other forum, which seems to be exactly the same as the issue I had, and the repair that VW Liverpool have done looks exactly like this.
Very frustrating.

Discussion Starter • #1 Apr 28, 2013 (Edited)

Saw this posted on TDIClub the other day. I went and checked my car today and was surprised to find the same problem. I urge everyone to go and check their cars asap. I found the outer loom chafed through, exposing the wires inside. And this is at 14,700 miles. Under the third screw boss for the air filter assembly (engine side) is where the loom is chafing. This loom is wires covered with loom tape and then covered with a woven fabric tube, and both were worn through exposing copper conductor on the brown (ground) wire. It appears to go to the heated oxygen sensors behind the engine. Although I didn't trace it all the way, it ended wrapped in that gray, high temperature silicone tubing. Had to remove the airbox in order to gain adequate clearance to repair the wire and protect the harness. I also found that the rubber mount inside of the airbox was not properly secured to the pin under it, so that got repaired on the reinstall. Here's some pictures to help you out. The chafed loom was under the airbox screw boss:

100_2132_zpse0e18597.jpg

And this is a wider view - the blue arrow points to the main chafe, while the red arrow indicates another potential problem area which I also addressed:

100_2133_zps5e3f6c11.jpg

Here is where the loom is worn through exposing bare naked copper on the brown wire:

100_2134_zpsb276fc9b.jpg

Here the loom tape was cut open a bit and I dabbed on some liquid tape nice and neatly:

100_2135_zps5672f24c.jpg

Wrapped it all in friction tape:

100_2136_zps5d8bea73.jpg

Oh, by the way.
I wanted to ask if any members know where I might get hold of a spare printed circuit that sits behind "PRNDS" the gearshift on a DSG box, as the gaiter has been on and off so many times that it's now broken, and the "P" light no longer illuminates.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Would that happen to be the same company who wont recall vehicles that allow toxic diesel fumes to enter the cab, from a not fit for purpose, EGR pipe. Or perhaps the same company who neglect to recall vehicles with (fire hazard) headlight units, with dodgy electrical contacts.

Funnily enough I had one of those little diverter valves fitted by VW after my heater matrix burst on my mkII GTI. New matrix and valve were supplied and fitted free of charge. Despite the car being 10 years old or more.

Back in the day when the strap line ' If only everything in life was as reliable as a......' actually meant something.

Back