Lucky escape

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
Parked Cali at the top of a sloping car park; returned to find it wasn't there!
It had rolled down the hill and very luckily come to rest on a kerb, just missing a car.

Had it gone over the kerb, it would have crashed through a fence and dropped into a playground. It could have also hit a person...

The handbrake was pretty much fully on. I shall be leaving it on gear on ANY slope from now on...!!!!

Disk cooled down and shrunk a bit and the handbrake let go, happen to my neighbours Audi.

As you say, in gear or a extra click on the handbrake for good measure.

Last edited:
Phew close shave, always leave my car in gear even on the flat, seen jokers pushing parked cars along the road before now, handbrakes not man enough to stop them moving vehicle.....

Another "issue" we discovered when away - when you use levelling ramps, you need to hold the van at the "top" with the handbrake. But to swivel the drivers seat, you need to hold it in gear (the handbrake is in the way otherwise) - this used to work fine in our T5.1 but we couldn't get it to work in the T6 - could this be something to do with the hill hold function? It was only an issue at one site but still a but annoying.

With DSG if I don't use the hand brake the van will roll a 100mm back down the ramp and load the gear box. On our T5 we lowered the hand brake so it works under the swivel but we have ordered the T6 with OE swivels so I guess we will just have to live with it. Less of a problem for us if we don't swivel the drivers seat.

Back