Lowering Front End Only.

Hi, been lurking for a while now but not really posted before!

I have a LWB T6 T30 highline panelvan.
I will be swapping the wheels for either 19” or 20” but I need to get it sitting right first.

It’s fully fitted out with sortimo racking so it’s arse Sits lower than the front, I’ll try and get a pic up soon, I’d say the back end is about right so is it feasible to just lower the front? I’d only probably look at VW Sportline 30mm drop.

Hi, been lurking for a while now but not really posted before!

I have a LWB T6 T30 highline panelvan.
I will be swapping the wheels for either 19” or 20” but I need to get it sitting right first.

It’s fully fitted out with sortimo racking so it’s arse Sits lower than the front, I’ll try and get a pic up soon, I’d say the back end is about right so is it feasible to just lower the front? I’d only probably look at VW Sportline 30mm drop.

A lot of the camper owners have the same issue.
I have a Sortimo rack, and know how heavy just that one smallish rack is, so a full rack out must be very heavy.
It sounds like you just want to go slightly lower than stock, and not on slammed on it's belly, so a set of lowered springs might level it up if you opt for something like the Eibach set-up that has the adjustable feature on the rear springs. I know it's the front that sits high, but their system will allow you to lift the rear to level the whole van, and still get rid of the bulk of arch gap VW love to give us as standard. The springs are not cheap, and they are half the price of the full B14 fully adjustable set-up, so be sure you don't want to go B14's in the future, or you might as well just bite the bullet now.
I think if you don't use springs with some kind of adjustment, it will just be an expensive trial and error exercise.

As for wheels, that a whole new headache.

Welcome to the forum.

Many thanks for the replay guys, appreciate your time.
It’s a difficult one to get right for sure!
Bringing the front end down, even just 30mm would level it out I think but just cautious having standard fears with lowered front but then I suppose that would only be an issue without the racking.
I need to keep a sense of practicality with it as it’s predominantly my work van so that would rule out anything too serious such as B14’s.
Decisions decisions :cry:

As mentioned by @Tourershine, a lot of us camper owners have had similar issues as a result of so much of the conversion weight sitting over the rear axle. However, before you do anything else, for peace of mind, it might be worth getting the van on a weigh bridge to make sure that you are not exceeding the rear axle loading (1625kg)

Thinking longer term, if you want to replace the van at some time and remove the racking, having the front only lowered might look a bit odd with a standard rear, and could upset the handling. Yes you could out it back to standard but adjustable all round would allow you to alter it and could be a good selling point.

Awesome, thanks for bringing that thread up.
So basically as it states on there, if I went to VW and got Sportline lowering springs but for a T32 (shocks etcseem to be the same) it will have better load bearing on the rear and lower it all evenly so that when the racking is removed when changing van as already mentioned, it won’t need and further work. Happy days, thanks for the advice!

I have just done the front on mine as I have Sortimo racking down both sides and fully loaded all the time mine have been on for 3 years no problem with standard rear and 40mm low on the fronts hope this helps

Cheers mate.
I decided to go VW 30mm all round but upgrade from T30 to T32 springs which will level it out and drop evenly with the extra load.

Had it dropped today at VW, 30mm T32 springs and all I’ll say is wow!
Yeah it’s only 30mm, so not exactly slammed, but the stance is perfect now and the drive has improved ten fold.
It’s gone from canal barge to a firm, yet still comfortable ride, just need to sort some wheels out!

Had it dropped today at VW, 30mm T32 springs and all I’ll say is wow!
Yeah it’s only 30mm, so not exactly slammed, but the stance is perfect now and the drive has improved ten fold.
It’s gone from canal barge to a firm, yet still comfortable ride, just need to sort some wheels out!

Hi ya
@Devizeswolves
Any pictures please
Have you gon for the lowering T32 springs ? front and rear ?
Did they just swap the springs ?

Until my conversion is fully in im not sure what to do yet ! I think the conversion will lower the rear and i defiantly want it even so was thinking pop T32 standard springs in ??

Hi ya
@Devizeswolves
Any pictures please
Have you gon for the lowering T32 springs ? front and rear ?
Did they just swap the springs ?

Until my conversion is fully in im not sure what to do yet ! I think the conversion will lower the rear and i defiantly want it even so was thinking pop T32 standard springs in ??

Hi mate.
Yep I’ll post a couple up in the morning.
So, they are genuine VW T32, 30mm lowering springs (I went for the T32 ones as the sortimo racking loaded is quite heavy).
They just swapped the springs - shocks are the same anyway.
Yes it does lower the rear, mine was squatting, but the front now looks slightly lower, whether or not it’s the arches and design that makes it look back heavy initially or not I don’t know, from looks alone I’d say the front is dropped more but either way, it looks a million times better and how it should from the factory IMO.

My OP was highlighting my concern about just lowering the front much like yourself, what I’d say is don’t worry and drop it evenly all round, it sorts everything out to make it look like it should!

VW in westbury charged me £460 for: Full set of 30mm T32 lowering springs, fitted including a full wheel alignment afterwards.

How long did it take them to do the job @Devizeswolves ? That would be my local dealer too. Did they have issues when you asked them to put t32 springs on a t30?

How does the ride compare between the t30 and t32 springs? Can’t afford to go with b14s!

How long did it take them to do the job @Devizeswolves ? That would be my local dealer too. Did they have issues when you asked them to put t32 springs on a t30?

How does the ride compare between the t30 and t32 springs? Can’t afford to go with b14s!

They quoted 3 hrs, it probably took 5 as the van was sent off site to have the alignment done.
No issues with putting T32 springs on a T30.

I can’t really compare as with it being lowered also it’s going to effect the ride, all I’ll say is go for it, it’ll be the best thing you can do!

Back