Lowering: cheap coilovers or dear springs?

Socopoc

T6 Pro
Hi all i'm not sure whether to go for H&R 50mm lowering springs or stance street kit on my 2016 t6 t28 with 20" alloys.
i've read so many different opinions its driving me mad o_O
Its a kombi but not a camper and i only want the drop for looks and maybe better stability.
I saw a video from THQ saying its better to go for premium springs than budget coilovers, springs are £255.00 coilovers £300.00

HELP !!!!!!!!

I will agree with THQ. Better springs than budget coilovers.

However my advice, and especially for 20” wheels, would be save up for a decent set of suspension of possible - As we have proved again and again this will be best the best money you spend on the van. (Budget dependant obviously). And try before you buy if possible.

We are forever removing springs, cheap coilovers or suspension where people have been wrongly advised.

HTH - Good luck in your search.

PS I have a few sets of S/H H&R 40mm springs if you what a deal.

However my advice, and especially for 20” wheels, would be save up for a decent set of suspension of possible - As we have proved again and again this will be best the best money you spend on the van. (Budget dependant obviously). And try before you buy if possible.

We are forever removing springs, cheap coilovers or suspension where people have been wrongly advised.

Thanks for your advice my friends too have advised me to go the spring route, and i have seen transporters the same as mine with 50mm spring drop and 50mm seems perfect for what i want, i think 40mm is ok if you don,t have low profile tyres, i just don,t like the big arch gap.
I have ordered the 50mm H&R ones from THQ but do need them fitted.

Thanks for your advice my friends too have advised me to go the spring route, and i have seen transporters the same as mine with 50mm spring drop and 50mm seems perfect for what i want, i think 40mm is ok if you don,t have low profile tyres, i just don,t like the big arch gap.
I have ordered the 50mm H&R ones from THQ but do need them fitted.

IMG_4565.JPG

IMG_4566.JPG

IMG_4567.JPG

would you advise 40 or 50mm i've added some pics

40 mm is sweet spot. 40 mm H&R 4 versions, 50 mm- 2 versions. If you fit Billstein b8 in front it will drop another 10mm because sping cup is lower then standard. Can upload pictures before and after on 20 inch staggered. 40 mm works with standard shocks and with 4 versions you can choose correct weight of van. While 50 mm H&R has only 2 versions- heavy duty and standard. Spring load has to match loading on your loading plate under bonet

If by dear springs you mean not changing the shocks, then cheap coilovers

Hi, apologies I'm a newby. I want to go from 20" back to standard 17". How do I know if it's a straight swap and no spring change required?
(Reason for change, I tour regular,was recently stuck in Spain following a blow out and no tyres available for days!)

Hi, apologies I'm a newby. I want to go from 20" back to standard 17". How do I know if it's a straight swap and no spring change required?
(Reason for change, I tour regular,was recently stuck in Spain following a blow out and no tyres available for days!)
Welcome. You don’t need to change springs if you are changing wheels as the outside diameter of the tyres is very similar.

For info the springs are red in colour which indicates to someone with my lack of knowledge that they aren't standard? I attach a van pic so you can see how it currently sits, thank you

PXL_20230711_200953440.jpg

The red springs are not working correctly as the rear of the van is too low, this isnt good for a proper steering feel and responsiveness . ( understeer )
The back isnt coping because of the camper weight , this is a very common problem , The rear needs to come up to match the front or the alternative is to change everything . Better quality springs that can carry the weight correctly and some KONI shocks will give the best results , they are brilliant . we do hundreds of these .
Best to chat to us before doing anything because there are some expensive mistakes to be made here. In general the industry doesnt like changing kits that are incorrectly sold and not doing what they are supposed to do ?? . My experience of removing incorrect kits seems to indicate that a lot of suspension suppliers think customers have no consumer rights ???

Back