Looking To Buy A T6, What To Look Out For?

Saracen21

I'm looking to buy a T6 Highline spec 66 plate, 2l Tdi, 102ps, T28, 34,000 miles
When checking round the vehicle is there any specific areas or things I need to listen out for when test driving/checking the vehicle over?

Looking to get a solid base vehicle ready for conversion,

Thanks in advance for any help

Your pretty safe going to a main dealer I think you just need to take your time looking it over and don’t let them rush you I normally ask for a cup of tea and tell them to leave me alone for 10 minutes and don’t forget to check the roof

Thanks for the reply Pauly. The vehicle is coming from a main dealer. The only thing i'm concerned about is the power and the gearbox/clutch. I've heard all about the DMF issues and EGR issues, is the 5 speed box a bit of a weak link with these vans (T6's) or have they been improved?

if you had the choice between the 66 plate 102bhp with 30k on the clock or the 15 plate 140bhp 6 speed with 27k on the clock, both highline spec, roughly the same spec, which would you choose?

Which one has the bigger engine? You will only be disappointed with the 102, which is mappable. But you will miss the 6speed gearbox.
For me the 140 all day !

140 is the way to go for sure in my opinion. No adblue, has a 6speed box. And will remap to around 200 ish

I would go for the 140 personally (same as i have ATM) rock solid engine with no adblue and a 6 speed box you can map with destroying it !

I have a 102ps converted and it's ok...you're not going to beat someone at the traffic lights in it if that's how you drive, but mine manages the weight well and I can easily get 85 out of it even up hill.

Thinking of selling mine if you're interested...

Hmmmmm! T5
The DSG some people love’em, personally manual 6speed for me.
T5 or T6 l waited for a T6, look similar but very different.
I would start hunting for a 140 T6 or a 180 maybe, the transmission choice I would say have a test drive and make your choice.

There are lot's of dealer's with lot's of van's , take your time ! Do your homework , gain knowledge then make your choice .:thumbsup:
What I will add , I had a T5 swb with a 5 speed box , hated it ! 6 SPEED A MUST.....

Got to agree with GONA66, we have a works van T6 102 5 speed and find your always searching for 6th gear, and power, well we had an old age pensioner pass us on one of those scooters :whistle: I would recommend that you test drive all the variants, if it was me I would sticking with the main dealers, due to warranties, and when I was looking they seemed to be cheaper

Here's an update. Tested the T6 102 5 speed, everyone was right, not enough power (didn't help on the test drive that I didn't get into 5th). Liked the T5.1 which as it turns out had a manual g/box, was even going to collect it next week. Then I saw a 65 plate T6 140bhp 7 speed DSG, no VAT so £1k cheaper than the T5.1, is it too good to be true and once again, are the DSG boxes any good?

Here's an update. Tested the T6 102 5 speed, everyone was right, not enough power (didn't help on the test drive that I didn't get into 5th). Liked the T5.1 which as it turns out had a manual g/box, was even going to collect it next week. Then I saw a 65 plate T6 140bhp 7 speed DSG, no VAT so £1k cheaper than the T5.1, is it too good to be true and once again, are the DSG boxes any good?
I wouldn't worry about dsg ,I had dsg in my last van for 5 years ,80,000 miles no problems ,I bet a lot of people on here have dsg .

The DSG used in Transporters was introduced in 2010 and it's still the same box. It is specified to handle torque up to 600Nm thus the same box is used on all Transporters. Anyways, the reputation of "our" box is good. But, it is unfortunately true that a few DSG-variants used in other vehicles have had challenges.
You mentioned a T5.1 - also 140ps engine? With 180ps engines need to be more careful as there was a significant improvement in EGR cooler structure in 2015.

Edit: some general info about DSG, for Transporter at (0BH/)0BT/DQ500 DSG Transmission Variants

Last edited:
Back