Lithium battery swap in a 22MY Ocean .. what to do with VW Shunts and CCU?

Oceanis

German Member
T6 Guru
I'm fitting solar to my 22MY VW Ocean and the next step will be to move to lithium. Not sure yet if I will replace them or simply put something like a Roamer 230 under the seat in parallel to the VW system.

The bit I'm struggling with, is what to do with the shunts on the VW AGM batteries and what the effect on the camper unit will be if the 2 leisure batteries are no longer AGMs but Lithiums behind a B2B charger. I would really like the camper unit to continue functioning properly.

Would love to hear from anyone who has fitted Lithium to a VW California Ocean or Coast with the standard VW 3 Battery setup.

Does everything still work OK? ... Anything to look out for? .... been through loads of threads but can't find anything specific on Coast/Ocean Lithium conversions.

I'm fitting solar to my 22MY VW Ocean and the next step will be to move to lithium. Not sure yet if I will replace them or simply put something like a Roamer 230 under the seat in parallel to the VW system.

The bit I'm struggling with, is what to do with the shunts on the VW AGM batteries and what the effect on the camper unit will be if the 2 leisure batteries are no longer AGMs but Lithiums behind a B2B charger. I would really like the camper unit to continue functioning properly.

Would love to hear from anyone who has fitted Lithium to a VW California Ocean or Coast with the standard VW 3 Battery setup.

Does everything still work OK? ... Anything to look out for? .... been through loads of threads but can't find anything specific on Coast/Ocean Lithium conversions.
Hi. I'm thinking of doing the same. Did you ever get to progress this? If so, what did you use and how did it go? TIA

Hi. I'm thinking of doing the same. Did you ever get to progress this? If so, what did you use and how did it go? TIA
I found out if you disconnect the VW shunts when the batteries are all full, then the camper unit always reports 100% and never sees any charge or discharge. (So doesn't shut off the fridge etc.) ... this was my major concern and the reason I stuck with the VW AGMs.

My LI conversion plan now looks like this ......

1687865209866.png

Back