Lightweight Directors Chair Challenge & Loc8 Table

The table itself is about 3.5Kg from memory. Not sure about the whole kit including the panel but would be surprised if it was as much as 10Kg.

You can certainly feel the extra weight in the door when opening and closing though.

I can only find out Packaging weight at 10kg - seems a lot for a table at 3.5kg hence my query

View attachment 45645 View attachment 45646
Check the door running gear. After my conversion, I noticed the side door had “sagged” on its gear & the runner was rubbing the bodywork (see photos). According to the dealer (& this could be usual dealer waffle) the doors are adjusted in the factory, if aftermarket modifications are made e.g. fitting 10kg of Loc8 kit, the doors need re-adjusting. They tried to adjust the sag out of mine, but ended up replacing the running gear, under warranty.
The highlighted photo in red is where the runner actually rubbed the paint off. The yellow is what you should have clearance wise between runner & body.

So it is 10Kg of weight ??? Interesting that the California copes but I guess they'll say it is adjusted accordingly

So it is 10Kg of weight ??? Interesting that the California copes but I guess they'll say it is adjusted accordingly
As already said, it’s not just the table, it’s the whole door card & all the gubbins that comes with it. Add the cardboard box & packaging that it comes in & you’ll soon be upto 10kg.

View attachment 45645 View attachment 45646
Check the door running gear. After my conversion, I noticed the side door had “sagged” on its gear & the runner was rubbing the bodywork (see photos). According to the dealer (& this could be usual dealer waffle) the doors are adjusted in the factory, if aftermarket modifications are made e.g. fitting 10kg of Loc8 kit, the doors need re-adjusting. They tried to adjust the sag out of mine, but ended up replacing the running gear, under warranty.
The highlighted photo in red is where the runner actually rubbed the paint off. The yellow is what you should have clearance wise between runner & body.
So i checked the running gear and it doesnt appear to be wrong - no scrapes under the roller and everything seems tight - no real slop.

Took some photos to illustrate the issue and see if anyone else can spot what's wrong, it looks in the 2nd photo like there is a gap between panel and door but i think that's just perspective, in reality the card seems fully pressed in. You can see how close it is to the wheel arch.

MVIMG_20190624_152402.jpg IMG_20190624_152428.jpg

Only things I could potentially have wrong (that i can see) are:
  • Hidden clips vs factory (perhaps they "pull" the card in less?)
  • Carpet folded over edges (perhaps its pushing the card out a bit vs flush fit w/o carpet?)
Anyone spot anything?

E8F66E53-275A-423A-A5BE-96B4CB61CB40.jpeg
Here is our bare one.
Doesn’t touch the van but is close enough to touch the rain drops on the van side with the table. Looks like your carpet around the edge is stopping the panel sitting flush in the recess which is pushing it out enough to cause it to catch.

View attachment 46014
Here is our bare one.
Doesn’t touch the van but is close enough to touch the rain drops on the van side with the table. Looks like your carpet around the edge is stopping the panel sitting flush in the recess which is pushing it out enough to cause it to catch.
Yeah yours is close enough that carpeting would push it to the limit.

I have no idea how other guys with carpeted doors are fitting. I wonder if different vans have different spacers on the slider?

How easy is it to carpet it, or is it easy to get someone to do it? I could see it frustrating me!

Yeah yours is close enough that carpeting would push it to the limit.

I have no idea how other guys with carpeted doors are fitting. I wonder if different vans have different spacers on the slider?
So i fixed this by changing from hidden clips to exposed. The extra tension of the exposed clips pulls the card in 2-3mm further than hidden and it now JUST clears the wheel arch (literally by about 1mm).

No idea how some people have so much space compared to mine and @Sjacko20 but with care and some compromised (uglier than hidden clips for sure), it now seems ok.

Back