Lifepo4+smart Alternator+solar. Am I Doing It Right?

Abacrombie

Hi all! In the process of upgrading my T4 to a T6. Bought the car and waiting to have the HiLo roof fitted. In the meantime I'm planning the electrics and sketching up the furniture.

Before ordering all of the equipment I just wanted a second opinion on my design.

Can I trust Sterling and the MPPT not to overcharge the battery?
Is it possible to connect a manual switch between BMS and Battery protect unit like this?
Other thoughts or suggestions?
If I later want to install some sort of shore power, like a simple lithium charger, should I just make a connection directly to the battery?

On load I'll have
CB40 refrigerator (45W)
About 6m of LED-list total, 1.1A/meter
Water pump
Gas alarm
Six 12V-sockets, half of them with USB charges. Will be charging phones, two laptops, cameras, drone, bluetooth stereo...

kontrollpanel3.jpg

What other B2B charges compatible with EU6/lithium setups are there (that is trustable).

Also, trying to read up on the temp-sensors. Sterling will stop charger when reaching a certain limit, but can't find anything about a lower limit. Will Sterling continue charging even below freezing?

And, the "smart" victron battery has an inbuilt temperature sensor, but cannot speak to the MPPT? It looks like I would need the battery sense module for this, and then it will speak to the MPPT, am I right?

Virtually all the big name DC-DC chargers, Redarc, Ablemail, Ctek etc have a setting that is suitable for this battery. The Victron BMS should take care of things with regards to temperature range and also make sure that charging voltages do not stray.

Thanks, found the blog post about the new battery firmware update: VictronConnect now with Smart Lithium battery update - Victron Energy

So swapping the B2B charger in above diagram to something else and I'm good to go?
Had been looking at a CTEK solution earlier but they don't support Lithium as far as I know. Looking at Redarc the smallest LFP-charger is 40A @ around €450, if I'm not missing anything? Can't find a retailer for Ablemail and their ebay is empty. Their charger needs a smart relay to work with LFP.
How is the Votronic B2B 30A charger? Looks a bit bit cheap but will it do the job?

Thanks, found the blog post about the new battery firmware update: VictronConnect now with Smart Lithium battery update - Victron Energy

So swapping the B2B charger in above diagram to something else and I'm good to go?
Had been looking at a CTEK solution earlier but they don't support Lithium as far as I know. Looking at Redarc the smallest LFP-charger is 40A @ around €450, if I'm not missing anything? Can't find a retailer for Ablemail and their ebay is empty. Their charger needs a smart relay to work with LFP.
How is the Votronic B2B 30A charger? Looks a bit bit cheap but will it do the job?

Jury is still out on that one, see here:

Votronic Dc-dc Battery Charger - Compact Design

I would steer clear of the Votronic DC-DC charger. Mine failed twice.
I really rate the ablemail unit. They can usually tweak it to your needs. Martin at travelvolts will be able to help you out.

I like your diagram. I’m a fan of separate units for individual tasks. Don’t forget suitable fuses and cable sizing and you should be fine.

I will be doing a similar install in my next van but I am going to build the battery from individual Winston cells and use a smart123 bms.

I would steer clear of the Votronic DC-DC charger. Mine failed twice.
I really rate the ablemail unit. They can usually tweak it to your needs. Martin at travelvolts will be able to help you out.

I like your diagram. I’m a fan of separate units for individual tasks. Don’t forget suitable fuses and cable sizing and you should be fine.

Thanks, I've sent out an email to travelvolts with my needs.
Was also thinking on installing a do-it-all unit, but this will make it easier to replace or upgrade if needed.
Wire sizes are as big as the units can fit, 10mm2 for the inverter and 6mm2 for the MPPT.

Back