Leisure Battery And Solar Circuits In Isolation Of Vehicle Battery?!

fjw79

Morning All, I’ve just recently bought a T6 and in the middle of converting it. I’m looking at the electrics and have got a Sargent EC155 PMS to control the 12v and 240v circuits. The question I have is that if I install a 100w-200w solar panel to trickle charge the leisure battery then do I need to connect the vehicle battery to the EC155?

Thanks for your help!

That's your choice, but on a cold and dark day and your batteries are flat, you might want to run the engine to charge the leisure batteries??

Thanks @Loz. That makes sense. I’ve just been a bit concerned when reading about the issues with start stop and the split charge relay in the EC155.

Next (hopefully not stupid) question. If I connected the vehicle battery to the EC155 as you recommend. Would it charge the leisure battery whilst the engine was stationary idling and not have the issues with current flowing back from leisure to vehicle battery as there wouldn’t be regenerative braking occurring. Also does this “flow back” only occur intermittently until the vehicle battery was charged again, and therefore only deplete the leisure battery by around 10-20%?

I’m just trying to keep things simple using the EC155 without further costs of a DC-DC charger.

Thanks again.

That depends on the state of charge of the starter battery, but yes you are correct, if may flow back, I would get a dc-dc charger and then your setup would be complete

For what its worth in my set up, I have a 100W sola panel to a mppt controller, in the summer months I can be off grid as long as I like as I am only really using led lights and a compressor cool box.
in the winter its a different story.. sola gain is very little with my 100w panel and adding to that I use a eberspacher which is a little juicy on the leisure battery.
I have installed a sterling battery to battery charger and its a great bit of kit, it has multiple settings to suit all battery types and means I can run my engine for a while when wild camping in the winter to charge up my leisure battery and its designed for smart alternators. before I had this installed I used to take a small Honda suitcase generator with me, nice bit of kit but hastle you can do with out.

Morning,

Does anyone know what a flashing amber alternator input light and steady Amber service battery light mean on a CTEK D250SA?

The user guide is over here 》

D250SA

What are the 2 left lights doing? Status and info lights?

The power light is steady green and the warning light is blank.

This all happened after a diesel heater was added and at some point the leisure batttery was accidentally disconnected.

Not got any experience of the CTEK but I know the Redarc DC to DC chargers are not supposed to be connected to the alternator input without first being connected to the leisure battery.
I fear you may have killed the CTEK.

Back