Leaking Underslung Water Tank

Ian28

T6 Guru
A8C27040-AF44-4BD8-8EBB-5F10EF1C8A4C.jpeg
Photo shows a drip coming way from my water tank - the leak actually appears to from where the white part is sealed (or not) to the dark part. Very slow at 1 drop every 5 seconds and only just noticed. Wondered if a stone may have hammered against it damaging the seal. Assume I’ll need to get this up on a ramp for a proper look? New tank or hopefully repairable? All advice/experience welcomed. Thanks.

New tank I reckon as that water coming out means there's a potential route into the tank too with all sorts of yukky stuff trying to get into your drinking water... if it's your grey water tank though then result as you don't have to empty the tank every five minutes.:whistle:

Edit and seems a bit odd that the supporting bracket goes over the inspection hatch as this will put pressure onto one side of that removable cap?

New tank I reckon as that water coming out means there's a potential route into the tank too with all sorts of yukky stuff trying to get into your drinking water... if it's your grey water tank though then result as you don't have to empty the tank every five minutes.:whistle:

Edit and seems a bit odd that the supporting bracket goes over the inspection hatch as this will put pressure onto one side of that removable cap?
Thanks for that, I suspected as much. It’s a 4 motion with diff lock and also with underslung LPG tank so it might be they were struggling with space for the brackets.

The majority of people who fit items like that use the sealant incorrectly - they tend to whack loads of sealant on then tighten up the joint fully, all they do is squeeze out all the sealant resulting in leakage like that. The joint should not be fully tightened until the seal has set - in effect you form a new gasket.

Thanks for that, I suspected as much. It’s a 4 motion with diff lock and also with underslung LPG tank so it might be they were struggling with space for the brackets.
Hi, hope you get the leak sorted but if you don't mind me asking, where is the underslung LPG tank? I'm trying to firm up my own spec for a LWB 4Motion and ideally would put that underneath too, but I got the impression it's usually placed where the rear diff goes? Thanks

Mine is a 20L tank and it’s placed at the rear where the spare tyre storage is - the fill point is just below the rear bumper. I no longer have a spare tyre. At least if I get a blow out that doesn’t respond to being filled with spray I can cook a meal whilst I wait for the RAC...

Got a friend to have a look - the water tank is essential upside down as the inspection/cleaning hatch should be on the upper side. Because it’s attached to the chassis it was installed this way I assume so I could access the inside of the tank if needed - with difficulty because of the bracket. Will probably order a new tank and get it installed the right way up so the hatch isn’t in a gravity dependent position and therefore more prone to leaking. It means I won’t be able to get into the tank without removing it but can’t see me doing that anyway.

Back