Kumho Tyres?

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So I know I need to get some new summer tyres - the old ones have a bit of life left but with a summer holiday in France in June I know I need to change them before then.

Existing tyres are Goodyear Eagle F1. Size is 255/45 R18.

Given the way everything is skyrocketing in price I am tempted to buy some new tyres now, and store them until just before our holiday. That way I can get the maximum life out of the existing boots (I run dedicated winter tyres over the winter months).

But the Kumho Ecsta PS71 keeps popping up on the radar. C/A/71 tyre label. Fully fitted from Blackcircles these are £124.99 each.

Compare that with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 at £179.44. Tyre label C/A/72.

An almost £218 difference - that'll pay for a decent amount of holiday fuel.

Question - will I regret going cheap? The Kumhos seem well-regarded but...

Anybody running the Kumhos and can give me some real-world experience of them?

Kumho are OEM fit on many brands of vehicle these days, including VW.

I put a set of Kumho tyres on our Polo about a year ago and they have been fine. I could have spent double on Goodyear or Michelin, but I doubt I'd have noticed any difference. I'm not driving about quickly, needing that extra 2% of steering feel, I'm trundling round being mindful of what's around me. The same applies to the van. I've got Avon tyres on that, and can't think of one situation where I'd wished I'd spent more money.

Go ahead and get them now. It’s one thing off your list before France

I’ve used the 255 20’s for a few years without any issues.

Kumho are OEM fit on many brands of vehicle these days, including VW.
Which probably means that they are the cheapest tyres that they could buy without paying any attention to quality.

Nowadays, my annual mileage is very low in comparison to a lot on on here and depending on whose guidance is followed, I suspect that the tyres will be out of date before they are worn out. However, I've never understood why somebody would pay a small fortune for a van / car but then decide to save £25-50 on a tyre which might make the difference between stopping safely or not in an emergency. I always reckon that they are something where you definitely get what you pay for.

Which probably means that they are the cheapest tyres that they could buy without paying any attention to quality.

Nowadays, my annual mileage is very low in comparison to a lot on on here and depending on whose guidance is followed, I suspect that the tyres will be out of date before they are worn out. However, I've never understood why somebody would pay a small fortune for a van / car but then decide to save £25-50 on a tyre which might make the difference between stopping safely or not in an emergency. I always reckon that they are something where you definitely get what you pay for.
I do disagree with this sentiment.
Whilst perhaps not considered a premium brand Kumhos are definitely not in the 'ditch finder' cheap category.
I agree that tyres are an incredibly important part of any vehicles performance - all cornering, braking and accelerating forces go through a contact patch roughly the size of the palm of my hand.
I'm answering my own question here I guess!

Ah, but then I did just find this:
Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 10.20.22.png

Try them, you never know until you do. If they're good then you've saved a decent wedge, if not don't get them again. I doubt they'll be terrible either way.

Try them, you never know until you do. If they're good then you've saved a decent wedge, if not don't get them again. I doubt they'll be terrible either way.
The test I have found above predicts only half the life of my current Goodyears.
I am now thinking the extra for the Goodyears would be money well spent.

That wear rate data really has put me off the Kumhos - especially as the Goodyears sit at the top of that data at roughly twice the life.
Been looking at Goodyear prices and the cheapest option for me is to buy them supply only from Camskill and then get my local tyre place to fit them. Works out significantly cheaper than just buying them with fitted included from Blackcircles.

I wonder if your local fitter could source them for you?

I find it hard to believe any tyre test is entirely unbiased, they're usually sponsored by one manufacturer or another and carried out at their testing facilities. Can a modern tyre really last over twice as long as another while simultaneously providing better traction?

Goodyear Eagle F1 are the tyres that have lasted longest on my Audi. Continental were worst. Dunlop Sport Max and XP01 were both in the middle somewhere. But 10k for the Goodyear, about 6k for Contis. Big difference. Was so impressed that I’m on my second set.

I paid £119+vat fitted/balanced for Goodyear F1 Asy5 255/45/18 103XL last week locally

Last edited:
Wow - please tell me where!

At a seriously expensive price though :(
They were 255/45/18 103xl not 35’s sorry typo fat thumbs :rolleyes: was for 4 not 1 though.
Had to wait 2 days as they came from cheapest wholesaler they could find.

Ian Brown tyres Malton

They were 255/45/18 103xl not 35’s sorry typo fat thumbs :rolleyes: was for 4 not 1 though.
Had to wait 2 days as they came from cheapest wholesaler they could find.

Ian Brown tyres Malton
Ah, bit of a trek that for me!

I'm running Kumho's all round - I have no issue with them performance wise - I.e. handling, braking ability etc.

I did however found they wore pretty quickly - fronts I got circa 12k - but it's a Camper so always carrying weight - and when used on Holiday it's loaded to the max - so some might argue that's a fair amount of wear.

I've just renewed fronts - Kumho again - might seem odd given above but other similar priced tyres some places classed them as Budget (see thread below) hence stuck with mid range tyres. I nearly went back to Roadstone tyres - put on when I changed Alloys - at the time A, B ratings (changed now as tyre ratings have changed) and got 20k plus off them - but again Budget label put me off.

Back