Kombi v Panel van > Differences?

Chas M

I have had a bizarre email from Denby Campervans refusing to install a pop top into a factory built VW T6 Kombi because “the roof is different to a panel van”. My understanding is that the only difference between a panel van and a Kombi is a window and the rear seating and that the rest is identical to a panel van. Anyone know if this explanation of the roof being different is correct?

I have had a bizarre email from Denby Campervans refusing to install a pop top into a factory built VW T6 Kombi because “the roof is different to a panel van”. My understanding is that the only difference between a panel van and a Kombi is a window and the rear seating and that the rest is identical to a panel van. Anyone know if this explanation of the roof being different is correct?
Sounds weird, i wouldn't have thought the roof was any different as it would be unefficent for vw to make it that way, i have seen plenty of build threads on here that are kombis for which people have installed pop tops!

Also when stripping out my own kombi it looks the same as all the panel vans roofs i have seen there is nothing unusual there, if anything i would have thought its easier as they dont have to remove the bulkhead

I have a 2016 Kombi with a Reimo roof.
It may be something to do with the roof type, maybe they have a panel van they want to sell you?

2018 Kombi with a HiLo, no problem with my install.

The Shuttle/Caravelle can be a pain with the rear heating, but not the Kombi?

It is a Reimo roof that I am trying to get. AirCon was mentioned but there is no AirCon in my roof. I think someone at Denby Caravans does not want the business but why not is a mystery.

Denby gave me a 4 month lead time for installing in my PV......I agree maybe they have too much work backing up and dont want the business

Hi guys I’ve just converted my pv to a kombi, can you give me an idea of how much it would cost to fit a pop top

Cost is a classic how long is a piece of string question. You can get one for a few grand or pay several thousand pounds £6k+ depending upon what you can afford and what exactly you want.

It sounds like there talking Men’s dangly bits......Perhaps time to find a different converter if they think roofs are different...Yes agree that trim levels differ but the structure remains the same......if it wasn’t how difficult the the production line would be :cry:

ps Converters are supposed to work to your needs ...not to there’s
pps...If your stuck for answers and you’ve got time visit a T6 event for good recommendations
pps..edit.... I’ve traveled from 250 miles ( one way ) to get a great audio setup ( @Absolut5 ) you only convert your van once

Last edited:
Thanks !
I probably should have asked for the name of some reputable companies, I don’t mind paying, just don’t want to ripped off!

They clearly don't want your business.. pity they couldn't be a bit more honest with you..

I had the same problem with Bodans when I was looking at conversions... but at least they said it as it was..

Denby are similar and if it deviates from their normal fit outs then I find these type of convertors usually decline.

Reactions: JOG
The last thing you want is to be spending your hard earned dosh on a company that a) has their head up their arse OR b) doesn’t have the balls to tell you they can’t do it.
I have a Reimo easifit in a Kombi, no issues.
It seems to be common to look for a local converter, I reckon when you’re spending that much money it’s worth travelling the length of the country to get the right one.
When I got my conversion done there appeared to be some politics going on with SCA and Reimo imports, SCA were imported by one converter and fed on to others, you can imagine how that went. Reimo was slightly better I think.

My resolve is to have a Skyline roof fitted by the factory near Bristol. Between Brexit and COVID it would appear that European roofs will be both expensive and unavailable. I have to wait a few months, but then nobody is going anywhere anytime soon, so not an issue, and there are many other elements of my camper conversion to be getting on with. So fingers crossed it will be all’s well that ends well.

Back