Kombi Side Window - Adding Extra Opening Stops

Shaggy1969

T6 Pro
Just noticed that the first stop for the sliding side window on the Kombi is big enough to get your hand through - probably not great if you want to leave the window slightly open for ventilation over night!

Has anyone added extra stops to reduce this - think this can be done by drilling some holes on the top and bottom slider, say half way from fully closed to the first stop.

Is there another solution?

Just noticed that the first stop for the sliding side window on the Kombi is big enough to get your hand through - probably not great if you want to leave the window slightly open for ventilation over night!

Has anyone added extra stops to reduce this - think this can be done by drilling some holes on the top and bottom slider, say half way from fully closed to the first stop.

Is there another solution?
Our first click is after about an inch (from memory) and the next click yes you can squeeze your hand in but you can’t bend it back far enough to reach the release catch to open it wider. I think/hope I’m right but happy to be corrected in which case I might be drilling holes as well.

I had this discussion with my wife last week, one click open on my van and you can easily get your arm through and fully open the window

Just had another look - if you open the window and immediately let go of the latch there is a position about 3/4 of an inch along, just wide enough for some ventilation. Seems I’ve been missing it. You were right Nigel W so well done.

:eek: Mines a 2015 van so had it a while and i have never noticed that, going outside right now to check it out

I just checked mine; there is a ‘stop’ but only the bottom of the window catch engages, the top of the window is loose and the levers don’t go completely flat as on the other stops.
I’ve been considering drilling additional holes for some time, the only thing putting me off is voiding the extended warranty with the one item that is likely to fail.
I have also considered making a stainless steel perforated plate to sandwich in the opening with the slider open to the first stop, easy enough if I still had a machine shop.

Just had another look - if you open the window and immediately let go of the latch there is a position about 3/4 of an inch along, just wide enough for some ventilation. Seems I’ve been missing it. You were right Nigel W so well done.
Every day is a school day pal...you have just saved me getting the Makita out!

Our first click is after about an inch (from memory) and the next click yes you can squeeze your hand in but you can’t bend it back far enough to reach the release catch to open it wider. I think/hope I’m right but happy to be corrected in which case I might be drilling holes as well.
Thanks nigel for that. Perfect timing this as I was going to get drilling tomorrow.

YES, exactly what I’ve been looking for, just ordered one. Looks like they are interchangeable left / right. I’ve done alot of online searching so not sure how I missed this one.

Do post up some pics when you have it fitted :cool:

Received the window grill today, very well packed.
It’s well made, aluminium frame with stainless steel mesh, ?plastic fly grill and all matt black powder coated.
It’s a very snug fit and certainly not removable without brute force (hammer), that said I wouldn’t leave my van unattended with this fitted as it would probably void the insurance.
Note that the sliding window seal is not effective as the window is not in the fully closed position so not suitable if raining unless you rig a mini awning over the window :thumbsdown:
The grill is reversible so will fit either side window, I’d choose the sliding door as it reduces the possibility of getting the HPL furniture wet.
Weighs in at 1.2Kg.
Recommended.

8E8F660F-F2EA-4592-BAB9-3A3AA53BBE24.jpeg

4C3BEE6D-08BD-4955-BD66-15CE13E03B3C.jpeg

E22B630C-E93C-4E0D-8F40-F67090CED8CE.jpeg

277D0C53-5E53-45D9-A73F-E4899B25F87B.jpeg

DE2423BA-E12E-4FD7-9D24-8DF9E4D5D9FE.jpeg

021B9EE0-E3E6-4536-B446-597307BF250B.jpeg

B58DBBCE-F82D-471C-A64E-071A8A418880.jpeg

AB95B005-DA47-4AD5-9E09-980E0B20ADB2.jpeg

Received the window grill today, very well packed.
It’s well made, aluminium frame with stainless steel mesh, ?plastic fly grill and all matt black powder coated.
It’s a very snug fit and certainly not removable without brute force (hammer), that said I wouldn’t leave my van unattended with this fitted as it would probably void the insurance.
Note that the sliding window seal is not effective as the window is not in the fully closed position so not suitable if raining unless you rig a mini awning over the window :thumbsdown:
The grill is reversible so will fit either side window, I’d choose the sliding door as it reduces the possibility of getting the HPL furniture wet.
Weighs in at 1.2Kg.
Recommended.

View attachment 47377

View attachment 47378

View attachment 47379

View attachment 47380

View attachment 47381

View attachment 47382

View attachment 47383

View attachment 47384
Hope it keeps those pesky midges out.

Would there be any risk or problem to drilling an extra hole in the runners so the latching pins have an extra position? I'd like one more position that's between the first and second position.

What do you thunk?

Cheers

Crispy

Back