knocking noise when steering...any suggestions.

aidanomeara

ok folks so my shut has developed a "knock" from what I think it the front end (although it could be the rear). The knock is defiantly steering / suspension related. the knock started intermittently but now its pretty frequent. it happens when the van has has a tiny bit of left streering and you move the streering back to the centre / right.

The knock does not happened when the van is right turned and then turning back left / centre.

The van is a 2016 t6 t32 shuttle lowered on 40mm springs with standard shocks. 18" sport line wheels. I originally though about drop links but they were replaced when I lowered the suspension. I have had a mechanic review the front end and he says the suspension is solid, he has tested both under load and on the ramps.

I'm wondering if the bushes on the anti roll bar may be worn and this is the knock as the steering turns, but I'm open to all suggestions of where else to look.

I've known the top nut on the front struts to be loose and cause a knocking.

Have you checked inner rack ends slightest play can give a loud knock. Also you can get that sort of knock from a worn shocker . You wouldn't normally get a knock from ar bar unless the bushes were really bad. Which you mechanic should have notice if they were. Chris

Haven’t checked the ends yet but I certainly can, shocker could be a possibility, I’m getting Koni active shocks from Steve at crs so will be fitting new shocks all around soon

Haven’t checked the ends yet but I certainly can, shocker could be a possibility, I’m getting Koni active shocks from Steve at crs so will be fitting new shocks all around soon
I changed to those 3 weeks ago. Total different drive. We normally advise (in somecases if nothing obvious) to let the knocking get louder until something shows. Sometimes you just can't re create the conditions of the knocking so everything seems tight.

Back