Weird noise when steering/parking

hodgie80

Have been watching the forum for a while and know there’s a huge amount of knowledge here. I’ve owned a T6.1 camper for a year. It’s the best van I’ve ever owned!

However, I’ve noticed recently a very weird squeaking / rubbing sound when turning tightly and especially when parking. It sounds alarming. I’ve looked for obvious things and my local VW van centre in Exeter are a waste of time for things like this. Anyone know what this noise could be and is it a problem?

It’s a stock high line 6.1 on a T28 with standard Clayton wheels and factory fit tyres. The conversion has lifted the nose a tiny bit but nothing that seems to affect handling.

Video here to show you what I mean:

Sounds like the brake backing plate is touching the disc. ,
Interesting. Thanks for the reply.
Sounds like I better find a decent garage to look at it.

I’m saving up my pennies to get the suspension replaced when I can afford it and have heard great things about CRS. Will swapping out the suspension for something better effect my warranty?

If you’re confident in removing the road wheel you can easily check if the brake disc guard plate is touching the disc.
If that the kind of thing I can do with the standard jack? I have no problem taking the wheel off but haven't got any proper ramps or stands and don't want to make a mess of it.

If that the kind of thing I can do with the standard jack? I have no problem taking the wheel off but haven't got any proper ramps or stands and don't want to make a mess of it.
You can, the standard OEM scissor jack is another issue, not really fit for purpose. Many replace with a hydraulic bottle jack.
Axle stands are a worthwhile investment, a pair will cost you less than walking into the Reception at a garage.
If the wheels have never been removed they will almost certainly be seized on (almost all new T6 with alloy wheels).
If you are not confident go to a garage, they will have the jack and be able to free up the seized wheel, my advice is get them all removed and lubricated at the spigot before you have to deal with a flat tyre.

You can, the standard OEM scissor jack is another issue, not really fit for purpose. Many replace with a hydraulic bottle jack.
Axle stands are a worthwhile investment, a pair will cost you less than walking into the Reception at a garage.
If the wheels have never been removed they will almost certainly be seized on (almost all new T6 with alloy wheels).
If you are not confident go to a garage, they will have the jack and be able to free up the seized wheel, my advice is get them all removed and lubricated at the spigot before you have to deal with a flat tyre.
In an emergency When wheels are seized on. Loosen all the wheel nuts say 2 turns and slowly drive the car with lock on the steering this will free the wheel. , but it’s a risky thing so only do this if there are no other ways to get it off . Damage could be caused to the wheel

Back