Kenwood firmware update failed, now stuck in a loop.... [Resolved]

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So I've just attempted to update my Kenwood DNX9190 firmware. I have done this successfully previously when I first installed the unit.

This time the update starts as expected but then tells me the USB connection has been lost and to re-insert the USB.

I pull the USB out and re-insert.

Now it says it error can't read the updated data.

It is stick in the update loop - when I turn it on it displays updated interrupted, reconnect USB. But when I do that there is a pause and it displays error can't read the updated data.

Turning off & on just starts the loop again.

Can anyone help please?

@Absolut5

So I've just attempted to update my Kenwood DNX9190 firmware. I have done this successfully previously when I first installed the unit.

This time the update starts as expected but then tells me the USB connection has been lost and to re-insert the USB.

I pull the USB out and re-insert.

Now it says it error can't read the updated data.

It is stick in the update loop - when I turn it on it displays updated interrupted, reconnect USB. But when I do that there is a pause and it displays error can't read the updated data.

Turning off & on just starts the loop again.

Can anyone help please?

@Absolut5
Reflash your USB stick and give it a go....failing that, I fear it is case of returning the unit to Kenwood so they can reflash it “on the bench”!

@YellowHound I know your pain, this happened to My head unit although mine is an Alpine.

Eventually sent it back to Alpine and they reflashed it. On its way back to my next.

I hope you have the same experience as me pal.

Jeez, really???

This is the most expensive head unit I've ever bought and it has only been in the van a couple of months :(

Update...

I have managed to complete the firmware update and now have a working unit.

Tried 5 different USBs - all re-formatted in the same way and to the same configuration with a fresh download of the firmware update.
4 of these were high quality branded Sandisk and Transcend items.
The fifth was a small capacity unbranded cheap USB that I'd thought I would try.

Guess which worked?

Yep the cheap crappy one.

The Kenwood firmware update notes say nothing about USB capacity. The cheap one is 2Gb, the others are 4Gb and up.

Still can't do the other thing I wanted though - update my speed cam database. Done it before but not working now :(

@YellowHound

I had the same issue as you when updating the firmware, it got stuck around half way through the update, then came up with read error... and kept going through a boot up loop

I left the USB key with new firmware connected and after 3 attempts of the boot loop it asked for the ignition to be switched off and back on.

On doing this it started the firmware flash from the USB again and went all the way through updating the firmware to the latest version.

This then allowed the latest Garmin 2020 maps to be uploaded from an SD card formatted using Fat32 format and following these instructions.

The latest 2020 maps are indeed free from the Kenwood site by downloading Garmin Express software and registering your headunit as above with a code written to the SD card from the unit.

Glad you got this sorted in the end @YellowHound. It is a bloody nightmare when it puts you in a loop, had the same with my Alpine although I had to send it in to them to get it fixed. :rolleyes:

The key was not to panic when it crashed mid flash...

I used a small 2GB USB key, completely wiped and pre-formatted in Fat16 format.

It needed an ignition reset of the unit... but the important part is to make sure the USB only has the firmware loaded and in the correct folder structure.

Not sure its the same @Texxaco for the Alpine unit as it is for the Kenwood DNX9190dabs

kwood.jpg

Just picking up on this. I'm trying to do the upgrade. I've tried a few different USB sticks. All formatted and blank apart from the update files, so the only folder is S_V1_8_0009_4300 with the files inside the folder.
However how do I start the update process ? I've tried putting the USB stick in before turning on the van, after turning on the van and before the headhunt has started up, after the clicking past the warning message that disappears after 10 secs and every other variant I can think of.

The only message that I ever get is there is no media found.

Am I doing something wrong here to get the unit to start the process ?

@Sebnev can you confirm it recognises and plays mp3's from a USB stick...

It should start the update as the unit switches on and boots up..

Last edited:
@JasonW - I hadn't checked that but I have now. And all 3 USB sticks play music. Not sure if it makes any difference but these are the specs of the sticks.
1 - 1GB - FAT16
2 - 8GB - FAT32
3 - 16GB - FAT32

So should I have the VAN turned off, insert the USB stick, turn on ignition and wait for the headhunt to start the update ?

I used a cheap 2GB USB stick, formatted and just the update files as shown in the directory folder above loaded on it...

Make sure its the only folder and no other files or folders are in there other than the one you need.

Yes, insert USB with ignition off... turn ignition on then as the unit boots up it should see and read the USB file and start the update.

Are you sure your version of firmware already on the unit is older or different to the one on the USB stick.. if its the same version it may just ignore it...

The first 2 are cheap USB sticks, the 3rd is a Corsair so not cheap. Yes I formatted them and then copied on the files, so there is only 1 folder on the stick with 2 subfolders and an ini file in there. Top folder is called "S_V1_8_0009_4300" as per the instructions.

I've tried starting with ignition off and it just boots up like normal and play the radio.

Here's a picture of the software information screen - Application version is 1.6x, and the latest download is 1.8.

IMG_1267.jpeg

Not sure then sebnev... sounds like your doing everything right...make sure there's no micro sd card in the slot and maybe try downloading the files again from the kenwood site... let us know how you get on.

Ok after finding yet another USB stick I started from scratch and it worked. But it was my own error that was causing problems - doh ! I had manage to download the wrong version of the firmware - a version for DDX9190 not for my DNX9190.

So just in case anyone else makes the same cockup then make sure you use this firmware -S_V1_8_0009_3800 (and NOT this one S_V1_8_0009_4300). Now I'm off to try and update the maps.......

Nice one sebnev... had to be something like that as it wasn't recognising the boot file..

Maps is a doddle as all updates just live on the micro SD card...

Good luck and thanks for sharing...

Maps update done, and that was easy. It also worked on a 256GB ExFat formatted SD card although the instructions tell you to only use FAT and a max 32GB card.

Back