Keep double passenger seat, or swap out for a single

Slask

VIP Member
T6 Pro
New to the forum - first post.

Leaving aside the high cost of a single front passenger seat for a moment, I hope someone can advise? Our T6 Kombi has a double passenger seat which gives an upright and uncomfortable sitting position. We're going to have a camper conversion done next year, and the plan is to make the passenger double seat swivel and also to add the bracket which provides 10 degrees of recline to the seat. I view the under seat storage, and the flat folding of the double seat as advantages; but will that bracket modification really improve comfort? I would gladly pay to swap out the double for a single if that is likely to provide a noticable improvement in passenger comfort, but the expense will necessarily eat into funds available for a few other "must have" items.

I would be grateful for any advice, thanks

Mine had a double seat when I bought it and had to make the same decision as you
I gave it a week and bought 2 singles, both my kids have thier own cars so no one is realistically going to use the middle seat so the reasons for swapping outweighed the reasons for keeping for me
You're right about the cost though.....I could have bought another car for what I've ended up paying

Unless you require the 3 up front configuration I'd go with two captain's chairs. Just for the fact you(*) can get in the back without getting out the van.

* depending on body size.

Thank you both, that's very helpful. Looks like it's a necessary expense, and it will be a bonus to be able to walk through to the back!

While we're on the subject......once the double seat comes out you are left with 2 bolt holes cut into the flooring between the seats.....has anyone come up with an idea to plug/cover them as my OCD isn't happy about it??

Slask - I've posted on here several times about how happy I am with the double seat and reclining bracket and, what's more to the point, how happy my wife is with it. The short version is that IMHO the Vankraft bracket makes the double seat a far nicer and more comfortable place to be (especially on a long journey) and I've added a couple of other mods that make it even better. If I was you, I'd give serious thought to buying the Vankraft bracket and fitting it ASAP in order to give it a good trial before you take your van to the converters next year and have to make the final decision. If you decide that you don't like it, you could probably sell it to somebody for a small loss here on T6F (or the dreaded eBay) and at least you know the answers to your questions. This was my last post on the subject scroll down to the bottom of the page):

PS. I should also have said that I fitted the Vankraft bracket myself and if I can do it, so could somebody's trained chimpanzee. It's just a case of having the right tools - watch the Vankraft video on their website to see how easy it is.

Unless you require the 3 up front configuration I'd go with two captain's chairs. Just for the fact you(*) can get in the back without getting out the van.

* depending on body size.
This reason, plus the fact the captain is more comfortable for the passenger.

Bought a pair in red
I know there's usually someone with a solution for most things - but didn't expect anyone to be making these, cheers :thumbsup:

If I had a double I wouldn't change for single. Have single seats, nothing to complain about, advantage is the easy passage, but have sat on a double loads of times and I really like the space you have to 'hang around' when you're sitting next to the driver.....

I've ordered the Vankraft bracket based on advice gratefully received, and I'll let you know how we get on once fitted! Thanks all for your advice

Hi there,
Have just done this mod also fitted the backboard to the seat
Has made a great difference to the angle of the seat and been informed from the 'Boss' a lot more comfortable
Pics below, before and after
Ta

Before
IMG_2164.JPG
After
IMG_2183.JPGIMG_2180.JPGIMG_2181.JPGIMG_2182.JPG

That looks like a more comfortable seat now! Thanks for posting - my bracket is arriving tomorrow, hopefully

My van came as a double front passenger seat and a bulkhead.

The bulkhead lasted all of an hour after I got the van home and the double another couple of weeks as I had always planned to get a single passenger captains seat - 1. For the ability to climb through into the back once I’d done the Kombi conversion, 2. Because the double is not at all comfortable and 3. I think the van looks better with two captains seats.

I paid £700 for a single captains passenger seat in matching cloth and base.
I got £70 for the double and that took a few weeks of advertising it on fleabay

For the two unused bolt holes I got these...

27179587-D849-45DD-9827-EB3FBF80F65D.jpeg

I agree the two single seats look better. If the comfort isn't improved enough after the bracket is in, I suspect I'll be going after a single seat too. Where did you get the neat bolt hole covers?

Back