best option for swivel seats

rover220

VCDS User
T6 Guru
chaps, there are many threads relating to swivels but none really answer the question, which is best? i know it is slightly subjective but here is what i need.

my brother has my old t5.1 with double front passenger, he wanted to make this swivel but i fitted all the electrics, redarc and 2x batteries etc under there so it is a rather difficult proposition now. i have suggested they look at making the captains (t6simora seat) driver seat swivel instead as it seems easier and you then have the benefit of a nicer seat to relax in. under the drivers seat is a planar 2d heater.

which is the best/easiest to fit and use swivel the drivers seat? i guess none of them will cause any issues with the planar fitted below? are there any that mean the standard handbrake arrangement can be retained?

I have a Danbury conversion with both single seats that swivel they are both a pain to swivel . The handbrake has been lowered but it's a stretch to reach the handbrake if you have shortish arms. The driver's seat is the most difficult. To swivel the driver's seat, jack the seat to its highest position ,raise the seat back to its upright position, slide the seat as far forward as possible. Then graple under the seat to find the lever to release the swivel mechanism life the lever and swivel the seat 180 degrees. Then sit down and recover from the effort.

I have a Danbury conversion with both single seats that swivel they are both a pain to swivel . The handbrake has been lowered but it's a stretch to reach the handbrake if you have shortish arms. The driver's seat is the most difficult. To swivel the driver's seat, jack the seat to its highest position ,raise the seat back to its upright position, slide the seat as far forward as possible. Then graple under the seat to find the lever to release the swivel mechanism life the lever and swivel the seat 180 degrees. Then sit down and recover from the effort.
You forgot to mention readjusting the seat back and height to a comfortable position before sitting down! :slow rofl:
Then it’s a bloody nightmare getting the seat into the right position when you swivel it back round to drive away!

I also forgot about putting it into gear and dropping the handbrake off, I avoid swivelling the seat until I need to make up the single beds for the night. I also have made up a laminated crib sheet to remind my addled brain of the correct sequence.

No problem with Sportscraft swivels under normal height adjustable seats. Caveat we are 5' 8" & 5' 10" so seats and steering wheel adjusted appropriately. Hand brake is on original bracket lowered and welded in place appropriatel, I can provide pictures if needed. I have a right side kitchen fitment.

• Park on reasonably level surface (if not use ramps & chock), switch off with foot on brake, put in first gear and ensure hand brake is lowered, release foot brake.
  • Exit driver's door, lower outer arm rest and pull drivers seat forward until back-rest is about level with the centre of the 'B' post, unlatch the driver's seat swivel and rotate slightly.
  • Go to passenger's door, unlatch passenger's seat swivel and rotate 180 degrees.
  • Enter van from sliding door and rotate the driver's seat using the headrest as a hand hold.

Even easier if you have a passenger, get the passenger to rotate their seat when they exit the van then do the driver's seat as above on exiting the van.

I've been using our van every day as our work welfare van for the past eight weeks and have done that process every morning on parking up so I know it perfectly.

With a little contortion the above can be done when it's pouring with rain and without opening either front door!

Thanks Rod, The instructions I use were supplied by the convertor, maybe I am sliding the seat too far forward I will try to slide it just as far as the B post and see if it's easier. But I must jack the seat up or the plastic shroud catches on the lowered handbrake and rips it off. Epoxy glue does make a good repair however. It's probably because I only swivel the drivers seat occasionally that I have to think about it.

Thanks Rod, The instructions I use were supplied by the convertor, maybe I am sliding the seat too far forward I will try to slide it just as far as the B post and see if it's easier. But I must jack the seat up or the plastic shroud catches on the lowered handbrake and rips it off. Epoxy glue does make a good repair however. It's probably because I only swivel the drivers seat occasionally that I have to think about it.
Obviously my seats are slightly higher in normal driving position than yours.
I slide the seat forwards for the backrest to just clear the 'B' post as it swivels, the head rest just clears the sun-glasses holder as I do so.

All of this is dependent on the normal position of the seat height and back rest rake, we are all different. Being inherently idle perhaps we have just learned how to have these things set to make for the easiest and simplest life.

Hi guys,
I am looking into fitting a swivel base for my single passenger seat and wondered if anyone had any advice of which one to go for.
Needs to be easy to fit as I am worse than useless at DIY lol
Cheers
Mark

They are all easy to fit, just unbolt seat, bolt on the swivel and bolt on the seat - kiravans have a video on their website. I have just ordered one direct from rustylees as I have read good things about them. Will post a review when it arrives

4 bolts off, 8 bolts on, really simple just make sure you disconnect the electrical connections before fully taking the seat off the base and reconnecting them before you start the van. (they are all push plugs). Kiravans video covers it really well.

We fitted the Kiravans this weekend and there is just a hint of a rock but only noticable because I was looking for it. Reading the reviews they all do this.

If they are out of stock at Kiravans and you set up an email stock alert you get 10% off.

So fitted the new passenger swivel from Rusty Lees- first impressions: very well made and solid. Locks the seat in place when facing forwards and backwards. It’s a bit stiff to turn the seat but should ease with a bit of use. You need to raise the seat using the rise and fall before turning so the plastic sides on the seat don’t scrape. It does raise the overall height of the seat but don’t they all and it’s not really noticeable. Very little rocking, so overall a good choice. Haven’t driven the van since fitting so don’t know if there’s any squeaking. Bought direct from rusty lee and about a week for delivery
0C5E6ECE-5CA6-4DBB-9D6F-B5DBF67F97E7.jpeg63F7FFA1-B314-438F-8F8C-232E709CE8CA.jpegA0FFA998-74B6-4588-B902-FE0774D4C622.jpeg

So fitted the new passenger swivel from Rusty Lees- first impressions: very well made and solid. Locks the seat in place when facing forwards and backwards. It’s a bit stiff to turn the seat but should ease with a bit of use. You need to raise the seat using the rise and fall before turning so the plastic sides on the seat don’t scrape. It does raise the overall height of the seat but don’t they all and it’s not really noticeable. Very little rocking, so overall a good choice. Haven’t driven the van since fitting so don’t know if there’s any squeaking. Bought direct from rusty lee and about a week for delivery
View attachment 87496View attachment 87497View attachment 87498
Apart for the latch is there any additional securing of the swivel top plate to the base plate in place when the seat is in the forward facing position? I ask because the Sportscraft swivels have strong and solid interlocking pieces that hold the top to bottom portions in place more soundly than just the swivel. Maybe this is to pass crash testing rules?

Apart for the latch is there any additional securing of the swivel top plate to the base plate in place when the seat is in the forward facing position? I ask because the Sportscraft swivels have strong and solid interlocking pieces that hold the top to bottom portions in place more soundly than just the swivel. Maybe this is to pass crash testing rules?
No it just locks when facing forward or backwards when the latch lines up with a hole. The swivel is crash tested apparently

I fitted fasp swivels in my 5.1, hated them, they rattled and squeaked especially passenger side when it was empty. I ended up jamming bits of plywood into the mechanism to stop the rattles but never fully got rid of the squeaks. Hardly ever used them because of this and they cost about £180 each. Never again!

Which Sportscraft swivel did you buy from Here?

Don’t know what double swivel I have but I remember when I got the van it did not work so took it out found the studs had not been shortened which I sorted so chuffed put it back in and tried to swivel it and managed to turn it knock the hand brake off and hang out the van frantically pushing the foot brake with my hand from half in and half out the passenger door, once my heart returned to normal I ordered some whee chocks

I’ve considered moving the handbrake and manufacturing a full width bench seat for the front and having it trimmed by the trimmer we use at work, would give an option for a quick bed for one of the kids too

At the risk of repeating stuff from other posts, we've got a Kiravans double swivel in our camper and I wouldn't be without the extra storage that a double provides nor the Vankraft folding bracket which provides a far more comfortable angle to the back for the passenger. As there's only ever two of us, I also wouldn't be without the 'Seat Shelf' and armrest as reported on here:
To avoid potential disasters of the sort mentioned by Niknak, I've got laminated signs attached front and back of the seat base by strong magnets:
Handbrake.jpg
It might seem a bit OTT but I can be impulsive sometimes (AKA a forgetful moron).

Back