Different options for double cab seat? Lower and recline option?

WonderSpider

We hired a van which had double passengers seat in the front. We perfer this over a single passenger seat due to habing 2 kids and 2 dogs. However it wasn't comfortable to sit in and didn't recline at all. We also noticed it was much higher than the drivers seat. My husband head hits the roof which makes an uncomfortable ride for him if im driving. Is this normal?
Can you get them so they are lower to match the drivers seat (also wanted to use them as a back up bed for a child in high winds and recline slightly for long journeys?

No options im aware of for lowering the height as its fixed on the metal base
There is an option for the tilting bracket that allows an extra bit of recline (as well as folding forwards) that a lot of people like and think is more comfortable but havent personally tried it

An alternative to recline the double seat slightly is to put some spacer plates under the front of the seat base. M10 repair washers 3-4 over each bolt gives a decent, but not excessive recline To both base and backrest.

Regarding height did the van you hired have a swivel seat base? These do raise the whole seat.

An alternative to recline the double seat slightly is to put some spacer plates under the front of the seat base. M10 repair washers 3-4 over each bolt gives a decent, but not excessive recline To both base and backrest.

Regarding height did the van you hired have a swivel seat base? These do raise the whole seat.
Yes it was a swivel seat

Vankraft also do a reduced height double seat base - when used with a swivel, it's supposed to bring the seat back to original height:
VW T5 / T6 Lowered double passenger seat base
Personally, I would have preferred ours (with a Kiravans swivel) to be original height when we first got the van but now I've fitted the reclining bracket and we've both got used to it, it's all OK. At 6'1" I've never had any issues with headroom but can understand someone would if they were much taller. Mind you, I can also imagine that a taller person than me would have issues getting the drivers seat back far enough.

No options im aware of for lowering the height as its fixed on the metal base

You can get a lower metal seat base that allows for the height of the seat swivel.

I was going to fit one but my wife does not want to lose any room under the seat!

I wasn't aware of the ones that @Chris Sherwood linked to above - they look like a bargain compared to Vankraft!
I have just fitted one: adaptation is clever and welds look very solid. Combined with a 5° backrest bracket, it worked very well for me. Dave is very helpful, but remember that he is a private ebay seller: taylor9675

Last edited:
Back