Interior Light Unit Removal

The-lego-man86

Hi All
I’m trying to remove the whole interior light unit in the cab but having troubles. Any got instructions or a video of how to do this?

What van have you got or what light unit is it? The standard transporter one?

Standard cab light is screwed in place, you need to remove the clear plastic lamp cover so you can unscrew and remove it

Any tip for removal, looking to wire my dash camera from there
image.jpg

I love this forum. This is exactly what I will do tomorrow. Just looking how to do it and there it is... Genius.

Reactions: Eli
Hi @Eli1264 yes, getting the light unit and the storage bin out was straight forward in the end. Putting it back and relocating the rubber seal down the a-pillar is proving a little tougher!

Hi @Eli1264 yes, getting the light unit and the storage bin out was straight forward in the end. Putting it back and relocating the rubber seal down the a-pillar is proving a little tougher!
Why did you have to remove the A pillar trim?

To try to feed the cable down to the dimmer switch I don't have! :unsure:
It didn't come off but I pulled a little of the rubber away to pull the wire through and now can't get the rubber back in under the pillar trim. I'm gonna have to do it anyway when I do the speakers so thought, sod it. Now it's annoying.
:D

How did you get them out

I have a more standard set up than yours mate, so a couple of 20mm torx screws and a little pulling and leverage and out it came. I found the storage bin screwed to the roof and the lights mounted to that but everything will actually snap out.
Check inside your light for a couple of screws as the first place to start. After that it will snap out.

Reactions: Eli
To try to feed the cable down to the dimmer switch I don't have!

The output of the dimmer switch is a grey/blue cable, this cable is common through all the dash/door buttons etc in fact anything that illuminates when the lights come on so you can tap into it anywhere you find it and it will work as intended and the ambient lights will illuminate when your headlights come on

To try to feed the cable down to the dimmer switch I don't have! :unsure:
It didn't come off but I pulled a little of the rubber away to pull the wire through and now can't get the rubber back in under the pillar trim. I'm gonna have to do it anyway when I do the speakers so thought, sod it. Now it's annoying.
:D
The A pillar trims with the tweeters come off very easily. Have to take the end bits off the dash first iirc

Thanks @Pauly, I found the power but don't have a dash dimmer switch so I gave up and will put this unit in the golf instead.

Cheers @Skyliner33 but my a-pillar trims don't want to come off and I ain't taking the whole dash off any time soon. Only a short bit of rubber trim not quite in place.
When my fingers stop hurting I'll have another go! :D

Thanks @Pauly, I found the power but don't have a dash dimmer switch so I gave up and will put this unit in the golf instead.

Cheers @Skyliner33 but my a-pillar trims don't want to come off and I ain't taking the whole dash off any time soon. Only a short bit of rubber trim not quite in place.
When my fingers stop hurting I'll have another go! :D

Not the whole dash, just the bits on either end, on the passenger side its got the airbag switch in. Literally that and A pillar trim off in 5 mins.

Ho guys. So I am wanting to wire my dash cam into the interior light what wires do I need for the live and earth. I think i heard a fuse pop where would i find that also. Thanks oh and 2016 t6 startling
Thanks

Back