Insurance for modified van/ with 5 claims

braw.aldo

As per title, before I spend hours on the phone with many people can someone recommend anyone.

*The van Is already insured with AXA but I want to add seats which they apparently do not allow. Perhaps some wheels and lowering of the van in the not too distant future so they don't like that and so I called A-Plan*

I have 5 claims (all non fault on my car) people running into back of me at lights, smashing into car when parked and I'm not in it, reversing out a space and into side of my car as I pass (twice).

No luck above I know but last was in 2017!

I just called A-plan and after 50 minutes (the guy was great!) but the underwriters didn't want to know.

Really annoying seeing as none are my fault and due to others not paying attention - any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Last edited:
It strikes me that it is naturally going to be difficult to find an insurance provider with your unfortunate history, but can I ask, your last claim was in 2017, have you been insured since then?
Many of us could tell you who insures our vehicles but that is all irrelevant if we don't have your claim history.

Reactions: JOG
I have insurance with AXA on the Transporter currently but they won't let me put seats in the back (just so I can take the kids in it if need be). It is around £320 to insure.

I also have an Audi A6 Black Edition (on business use also) and a Mini Cooper all around £300 a year each so insurance is never a problem... the minute I want to add seats/wheels/spoiler etc it seems to be one.

As per title, before I spend hours on the phone with many people can someone recommend anyone.

I have 5 claims (all non fault on my car) people running into back of me at lights, smashing into car when parked and I'm not in it, reversing out a space and into side of my car as I pass (twice).

No luck above I know but last was in 2017!

I just called A-plan and after 50 minutes (the guy was great!) but the underwriters didn't want to know.

Really annoying seeing as none are my fault and due to others not paying attention - any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

I think you will struggle with insurance. IMO the insurance company and possibly the Police approach would be that a vehicle should be driven in a manner so that it can be brought to a stop regardless of how inconsiderate the other parties actions.

The underwriters are assessing "risk", not "fault" and the figures suggest that the "risk" is higher with you than it would be with someone who never made a claim.

This is why "No Claims Discount Protection" is sold as a separate line item. It could be viewed as a separate insurance against the loss of the discount on the insurance premium - though many view it as protection against the premium increasing, which it isn't.

I think you will struggle with insurance. IMO the insurance company and possibly the Police approach would be that a vehicle should be driven in a manner so that it can be brought to a stop regardless of how inconsiderate the other parties actions.

I do drive in a manner to avoid accidents. I can't control other people feet and hands though unfortunately.

1x accident - someone reversed into front of my parked car while I walked out of a shop.
2x accidents I was at a set of lights at the front, stopped. A truck drove into us once, the other was a car.
2x accidents - driver reversing out of a space, i'm already past their space and they clipped rear arch/bumper. Other one a driver drove out of a junction into the side of me whilst I was already passing.

You can't really avoid that as much as I could have tried to have had eyes all around my head. :)

As a note the van is already insured at a cost of £320 so not struggling to insure, just add seats and wheels I would prefer.

The underwriters are assessing "risk", not "fault" and the figures suggest that the "risk" is higher with you than it would be with someone who never made a claim.

This is why "No Claims Discount Protection" is sold as a separate line item. It could be viewed as a separate insurance against the loss of the discount on the insurance premium - though many view it as protection against the premium increasing, which it isn't.

I have around 8/9 years NCD on both the cars just not on the van as it only been with us since September. All insurance companies seem to 'carry it over' as they say as I have it on the cars.

To be honest I find it amazing that your insurance costs are so low with your history.

I've no claims in the last 20 years. My insurance is nearly double your. No wonder people think insurance is a black art.

No claims cant be 'carried over'.

I have around 8/9 years NCD on both the cars just not on the van as it only been with us since September. All insurance companies seem to 'carry it over' as they say as I have it on the cars.
You have had 5 accidents in the van since September?

It could come down to many things I guess. I'm not in a large city or densly populated areas in Scotland, so could be a reason! Maybe how many miles you do vs me?

My insurance on the Audi on renewal a couple of years ago wanted £1850... after a quick search I found a policy for £450 and then got it down in price.

Who knows!

Try Admiral and their multi car policy and say the Van has seats in the back then they would give you the price and your not lying about anything

you then fit your certificated seats.

Try Admiral and their multi car policy and say the Van has seats in the back then they would give you the price and your not lying about anything

you then fit your certificated seats.
The insurance database is probably using DVLA vehicle information, V5 states the number of seats.

The insurance database is probably using DVLA vehicle information, V5 states the number of seats.

ok say you want to add the seats just a few of us in here got a good price from Admiral they were fine with me adding bits to my Panel van i did't fit seats though

Just saying that the V5 needs to match the actual seating arrangement, it’s easy to update the V5 for the correct number of seats.
It’s simple enough to get a Certificate of Insurance, not always so easy to get them to pay out a claim if everything doesn‘t match.

Just saying that the V5 needs to match the actual seating arrangement, it’s easy to update the V5 for the correct number of seats.
It’s simple enough to get a Certificate of Insurance, not always so easy to get them to pay out a claim if everything doesn‘t match.

appreciate you must be honest and they can only say yes or no to adding MODs @braw.aldo has been very unlucky but i do understand my car had the front bumper ripped off and my Van a new rear bumper when a old ladyt rolled into the back didt put hand break on ghrrrr both while i was sat in doors with them parked up .....

appreciate you must be honest and they can only say yes or no to adding MODs @braw.aldo has been very unlucky but i do understand my car had the front bumper ripped off and my Van a new rear bumper when a old ladyt rolled into the back didt put hand break on ghrrrr both while i was sat in doors with them parked up .....
The last claim I attempted I had a video of a truck driving into my parked car, the driver apologising to me and the truck reversing off my car ripping the bumper off.
During the claim process the driver denied being the driver on the day of the accident and the company that owned the truck did not cooperate at all with my insurers. IMO the insurance industry is littered with chancers and crooks with the consent of the legal system behind them, it pays to read the small print and be careful.

Back