Android auto not working on Discovery Media? Try AA factory reset

rodrigoluk

My T6.1 Shuttle with a Discovery Media HU was refusing to work with Android Auto, Mirrorlink or Apple Car Play. I tested various cables, changed various settings and always got a message telling me it could not connect to my S20+, which has worked in other cars with Android Auto, and to make sure it was compatible. The VW dealer was talking of a key code missing (but Android auto was there, just not wanting to play). Anyway, long story short...and assuming you have the right settings on the phone as well as good quality cables...

What got it working was a factory reset of the Android Auto module. This is under the Factory Reset menu on the head unit. As soon as the AA reset was finished the unit happyly accepted the Android Auto connection from my phone. Next thing to try is to see if I can go wireless...

I hope this can help others.

R:)

Hi @rodgigoluk.
Thanks for this top tip. I've had my 2020 T6.1 since May and since picking it up Android Auto has never connected. Its been in to VW and had the S/W updated and still nothing. Various phones, cable combo's , USB C converters to USB A and back again, still nothing. Even bought an Amazon Chinese Android Auto screen to mount to the top of the dash. ! Always wanted the OEM one working and finally today.... after your post, it now works. I am so happy. Thank you.

Hi @rodgigoluk.
Thanks for this top tip. I've had my 2020 T6.1 since May and since picking it up Android Auto has never connected. Its been in to VW and had the S/W updated and still nothing. Various phones, cable combo's , USB C converters to USB A and back again, still nothing. Even bought an Amazon Chinese Android Auto screen to mount to the top of the dash. ! Always wanted the OEM one working and finally today.... after your post, it now works. I am so happy. Thank you.
So happy this worked for you too! I also went through many cables and all sorts of USB settings on the phone. Anyway, I'm very pleased you have your HU doing what it is supposed to do!

Which menu path did you use, on my MY21 T6.1 Caravelle I don't have any sub menus under Factory Reset, just an apparent global reset?

20231207_170524.JPG

Hi @roadtripper I did the delete of my account and it cleared it for my head unit and Android auto started to work. What's annoying is that I took mine to a VW Van center and they couldn't get it working . It looks like you just log back in as you get an email form VW saying you've 'logged out'. I'm just glad mine is now working

OK, seems an extreme fix and from what I've read it generally only restores things for a while, usually till the next Android update on the phone. Resetting one thing I could go for but the full set of settings... not so much.

I continue to have success with making the connection "more dumb" doing this:

Hi Paul,

Try going for the Reset (but I can't be held to account - I'm not sure your HU is exactly the same as mine although they look the same) and another menu will appear that shows the modules. Then you should be able to choose which one you wish to reset. Go for the Android Auto one.
Good luck!

I'm documenting here what I see on my head unit. The following images should be self explanatory
, I hope. Goto System settings - > Factory settings
20231208_152721.jpg

Once there, scroll down... Until you get to the App-Connect menu item...

20231208_152733.jpg20231208_152744.jpg

Select the App-Connect item and you should see the image below... Just press Reset.

20231208_152757.jpg

...and you should be ready to go.

I hope this helps.

R.

It helps in some ways, you seem to have a completely different set of menus.

Which head unit do you have as it seems to have a SD card underneath?

I thought the base 6.1 head unit had SD cards on the side:

Screenshot_20231208-224442-01.jpeg
And the other two have none but use USB-C:

Screenshot_20231208-224406-01.jpeg

Hi, I now realise there are quite a few Discover Media Mib2 units out there. Mine is part number 3G0035869B, with single SD card slot. No Nav on mine.

Depending on the model and trim selected, there seems to be different units. Anyway, did you try to reset your unit?

Back