Will maps on Android Auto work without phone signal?

kevnsue

T6 Pro
I am having to replace my standard satnav/audio for a new unit, A Pioneer unit with android auto. It has just occured to me I often go places with no phone coverage, will this mean my android auto satnav will not work?

Depends on which SatNav software you use and does it have downloaded maps.

I use Sygic which can have local downloaded maps so out of coverage navigation is fine, though of course you don't get traffic updates etc.

There's an option in Google maps to save an offline map of a chosen area. Just make sure you've done this beforehand and all you'll need is a GPS signal.

Depends on which SatNav software you use and does it have downloaded maps.

I use Sygic which can have local downloaded maps so out of coverage navigation is fine, though of course you don't get traffic updates etc.

Thank you roadtripper, sygic looks perfect and I can use it abroad. As you probably guessed I am clueless always relied on the fitted satnav.

There's an option in Google maps to save an offline map of a chosen area. Just make sure you've done this beforehand and all you'll need is a GPS signal.
That sounds interesting. Thank you.

The challenge with Google Maps is you have to plan ahead to save the maps.

Others like Sygic or TomTom the map is already downloaded.

You can try Sygic for free but then there is only a basic Android Auto client, to get the full one you need a subscription but those are not that much and frequently on offer, about £1 a month.

I went with Tom Tom, downloaded the maps but when in signal you still get the live updates. Much the same as Sygic I believe. I haven't compared accuracy or detail of live updates between systems though.

Back