Immediate actions after replacing EGR valve

apb

(VW T6, 2016, Euro 5) Hi, similar issues with the other EGR queries on the forum, decided best course of action is to swap out myself. After reading up and watching multiple videos on how to swap out the EGR valve I wanted to ask what have you done to the vehicle immediately after the fitting.

I understand there is the coolant to top up as a lot of coolant is within the EGR valve itself. The main point is once the EGR valve is fitted, is it a case of turning on the engine, proudly watching the engine management light go out and then carrying on with your life?

I have seen videos of having to log into the vehicles ECU with software and registering the new EGR valve so the vehicle recognises it. Has anyone bothered with that, and if not has there been any issues?

I believe you need to set defaults for the EGR.

Go through a new EGR initialisation.

And will need to go through the engine coolant bleed system. That requires various pumps to be run at various times to ensure all the air is expelled.

The garage uses Odis,

But I think you can do the same with VCDS.

Not sure about other scan tools.

@Loz @Pauly

So do we have a engine block air bleed section on the downloads?

"Bleed cooling system "

Last edited:
Has anyone bothered with that, and if not has there been any issues?
Also interested to know if anybody simply replaced the EGR. Surely the air bleed happens anyway as soon as the engine is started?

Back