EGR, intake, turbo clean - WITHOUT REMOVAL

JoelSinj

Morning peeps,

I was wondering if anyone has has a go with Cleaning with DFP fluid without the agony of dismantling all the components in their T6? Even removing the EGR pipe to inspect deposits in my 2017 T6 is a pig.

The video on the hyperlink seems nice and straightforward and the comments are near enough all positive in its results. I’m considering doing it to mine. Take of the intake manifold, remove MAF sensor, spray into intake at maintained 2000rpm (use a brick or brolly), deploy 1-2 litres, watch billows of smoke, drive for 10 miles with some well…hey presto…apparently.

From watching many others doing this, it cleans:
- intake manifold
- Anti shudder valve
- intercooler
- inner casings
- EGR valve and pipe
- Turbo

Some people use DPF cleaner like Wynns using a spray bottle of high pressure pump action fence sprayers. Pic attached.

Or your can use Liquid Moly premade diesal cleaner in the pic attached.

It’s all seems like a no brainer if EGR restricted flow is popping up. Especially as I’ve also read changing turbo, EGR and other items hasn’t fixed their EML, but this simple carbon flush has….after their work was done. So they maybe should have tried this first. That’s where I’m at.

The O’Reilly video is worth a watch and makes it simple.

I’m intrigued to see if anyones had success in a T6?

Thanks

Link here again

https://youtu.be/it_Grz7K1TQ

571ACE79-586C-4BD7-A4B4-9B7441C98F31.jpeg

1B1995C2-B513-4DBB-BD78-50FB6CD24052.jpeg

I would be concerned with washing the bores dry of lubrication whilst doing this..

UPDATE: I decided to give it a go having watched many people done it.

It’s done her a world of good. Throttle response much better. Smoother acceleration. Quieter start up and running.

O’reillys say they do theirs every 10-20k.
How's it held up? did you use Wynn's off-car DPF cleaner to do the job?

UPDATE: I decided to give it a go having watched many people done it.

It’s done her a world of good. Throttle response much better. Smoother acceleration. Quieter start up and running.

O’reillys say they do theirs every 10-20k.
Which product is you go with in the end?

I'm never sure these things actually do anything... if you see how caked on the crap is in a blocked DPF or EGR I can't see there's any chemical that could simply dissolve that without having it sitting in a tank full of it for a while.

A while back I was donated an unwanted blocked EGR valve and cooler from a 102ps to evaluate if they are worth servicing.
I had to drill the carbon out of the tubes just to get fluid in. The cooler header was completely full of carbon.
My advice is don‘t waste your time and money on flushes, fit a replacement unit.

Reactions: mmi
A while back I was donated an unwanted blocked EGR valve and cooler from a 102ps to evaluate if they are worth servicing.
I had to drill the carbon out of the tubes just to get fluid in. The cooler header was completely full of carbon.
My advice is don‘t waste your time and money on flushes, fit a replacement unit.
I think the idea is to use a flush before it gets in to that state?

I think the idea is to use a flush before it gets in to that state?
That is the only chance. Another factor to consider is the chemical must be compatible with the NBR seals and NBR coating stainless steel gasket between the valve and the cooler.
I found the gasket to be in very poor condition and the only place I found it on sale was in Brazil!

That is the only chance. Another factor to consider is the chemical must be compatible with the NBR seals and NBR coating stainless steel gasket between the valve and the cooler.
I found the gasket to be in very poor condition and the only place I found it on sale was in Brazil!
..and not be caustic as that dissolves aluminium and other things.

..and not be caustic as that dissolves aluminium and other things.
I also was concerned about that but the valve I overhauled was all stainless steel.
I came up really well and I pressure tested both the gas and water side.
Given the time it took and the replacement cost it simply isn’t worth the effort. Another pointless object in my workshop.

Reactions: Loz
Still going well mate. Although there were bigger issues of a cracked EGR pipe found afterwards. That got fixed after my intake DPF clean jobby, plus EGR flush and all been running nice since (as expected)

And yeah Wynns DPF cleaner

Which product is you go with in the end?
Wynns DPF cleaner - same as the O'reillys vid

I'm never sure these things actually do anything... if you see how caked on the crap is in a blocked DPF or EGR I can't see there's any chemical that could simply dissolve that without having it sitting in a tank full of it for a while.
It seems the logic of chemicals, air, heat and turnover it would work. 1 litre I thought was a lot to put in. O'reilly said to do another 1litre later on if required...:oops:

Going to add a plus 1 for this ‘remedy’ though time will tell…

Engine Management light came on in April after moving 2 miles in 50 minutes whilst the Blackwall Tunnel was down to one lane.

Got to some services on the M1 and reset the light and it stayed off for around a month.

Reset again and got another month out of it before the light came back on, and then again once more.

Last few weeks couldn’t keep the light off. Tried EGR spray, diesel additive in tank and a new air filter and also started taking an interest in Google for remedies! Carista was also showing the issue (P0104) before the EML would even come on.

Ran 0.5l of this (Wynn’s) through, revved and saw a couple of clouds of smoke. Reset the fault (though DPF light now on) and took her for a spin to regenerate the DPF (and distinguish light) and no recurrence of the P0104 code since…

It is early days. I have a 120 mile round trip coming up next weekend so let’s see what the next couple of weeks bring…

Generally most 'treatments in a can' are only partially effective at best, and BS snake oil at worst. They may be ok to get things clean enough to get rid of the CEL and pass an MOT, but the problem will soon re-emerge.
No substitute for proper dismantling and manually cleaning, if this is even possible, or if not replacement. An EGR with completely blocked tubes cannot possibly get fully cleaned out if it cannot flow the cleaner fluid, it needs soaking for hours in something nasty.

Reactions: DXX
Still going well mate. Although there were bigger issues of a cracked EGR pipe found afterwards. That got fixed after my intake DPF clean jobby, plus EGR flush and all been running nice since (as expected)

And yeah Wynns DPF cleaner

Wynns DPF cleaner - same as the O'reillys vid

It seems the logic of chemicals, air, heat and turnover it would work. 1 litre I thought was a lot to put in. O'reilly said to do another 1litre later on if required...:oops:
Can you give me an update how did it workout long term as I'm thinking of doing this

Ok thanks DaveD has anyone else done this with success

I don't know any more than is in this thread but it seems to be a treatment that may well improve things rather than a total cure.
I know people in the car trade who use O'Reilly to deal with EGR/DPF problems that they can't resolve and have a very high opinion of him.

I don't know any more than is in this thread but it seems to be a treatment that may well improve things rather than a total cure.
I know people in the car trade who use O'Reilly to deal with EGR/DPF problems that they can't resolve and have a very high opinion of him.
Ok thanks daveD just worried about hydrolock if it's possible

Back