ID Buzz

I wasn't sure on looking at the photos but after watching the video I think I like it! I prefer the exterior on the T4/T5/T6 but this is still cool and will grow in me. Good timing to se it in reality!

Just been watching the you tube of the Yellow ID B buzz being driven in the US,

it'll be interesting to see if they follow this concept in the future.

A 350 mile running time between charges aren't too bad, ill like to think that by the time they get around to producing the electric model in 2022-25, it'll have at least 500 miles on the LWB.

I'd hate to accidentally drill into the battery while attempting to fit a RIB :cry:

I'd also get that it'll be a 48 volt system, with a extra integrated battery option for campers.

Air con here we come :D, until you flatten it :mad: and are stuck

I noticed that this has a 111 kWh battery.

Thats huge, but then again it needs to be big to get the claimed 435–600 km (270–373 mi)

I had a read of that and other material, i noticed its due for a possible 2022 release, so thats another 4 years away, at least.

But i'm hoping they stuck to the concept shape, as well as a LWB version, and do a lot of testing before its released.

I've been excited over the years after seeing the concept's (Yes you Subaru) and then extremely disappointed with the production model.

Remember the teasers for the T6? And look what they delivered...a T5.2.. New dashboard and a new front end (with useless headlights). Where was the in-cab coffee maker? How did the T6 move the game on? Those T7 pictures are clearly indicating that the Transporter is evolving away from a working tool into a school run accessory. That's fine; but they are forgetting their roots and they are going to suffer the consequences. VW Need to remember that only the privileged few can drop 35k on a utility vehicle - not exactly the People's Car, is it?

If VW put the same effort into engineering as it does marketing, they wouldn't need to advertise.

This is never going to be a 'T7' - it's just a lifestyle vehicle that VW are using (with great effect) for advertising & development.

IF it's ever launched it will appeal to those types who buy Beetle's instead of Golf's & are looking to tap into VW Heritage & the Modern Retro Look.

95% of Transporters are Commercial Vehicles & used as such.

Can you honestly see a Builder, Plumber, Patrolman etc. carrying out their day jobs in one of these?

I've taken a bit of time to analyze the front windshield design of the Buzz. If you look at the position of the front door and front wheels, you'll notice that the front row seats are basically in the same position as the T5/T6. Volkswagen wants to evoke retro style, so they have brought the windshield right up in an angle from the front bumper. But this does not give any added extra useful space inside the van, just a deep useless shelf above the dashboard. Imagine that the windshield followed the angle of the door window and everything else was exterior, leading to a short hood like on current vans. The result is that in addition to the two A pillars which we all find can limit our view out of our vans on turns, there are now two additional huge pillars out in front where before this area was exterior and open. I want to see one in person, but I am beginning to suspect that VW has made a serious design error by trying to shoehorn the current wheel forward crash safety design into the retro image of the old vans, where sitting over the wheel gave loads of room inside but didn't meet safety requirements.

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 9.38.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 10.43.07 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
I’ve had a look at this, prompted by your post, and read a couple of online reviews. I agree with your “Thanks, it no thanks, for two A-pillars” view! I would hope this gets addressed though windscreen and door redesigns. I see an attempt to fix potential glare through a “mono-brow” above.
I’m not convinced that the power train is particularly innovative either. It smacks more of “we have running gear, let’s get a bus to market!” effort!
Or, maybe I’m just being tired and grumpy!

That's ridiculous. They would be better off having a bay window.

Or even a splitty :laugh:

An in-law had one of the new beetles when they came out, the dash must have been a yard deep!

I may be missing the point here, with full driverless auto-pilot the view outward from the front may be irrelevant, but for those of us who actually like to drive, hmmm. I love the way it looks, but I can't avoid the feeling that this is a cheap trick instead of a useful design development.

An in-law had one of the new beetles when they came out, the dash must have been a yard deep!
The first couple of years of production the Super Beetle had a long nose for the new suspension, and a flat windshield, which made the proportions truly ugly. The upgraded Super Beetle used a huge curved windshield to get the proportions back into balance. Still no more useful space inside, but at least the sleight of hand was done without a huge vision-limiting second A pillar.

Reactions: CAB
I love the look of it but what bugs me is having to sit so far back you get no chance to see the full view and have to strain your neck to see any high traffic lights.. just like the T6

I love the look of it but what bugs me is having to sit so far back you get no chance to see the full view and have to strain your neck to see any high traffic lights.. just like the T6
Think of the T6 with yet another even thicker A pillar out in front of the current one, going from the roof to the headlights.

A quick Google, shows this design concept vehicle first appeared in 2001, and seems to pop up every 4-5 years and gets certain types all sweaty and excited. Calm down for God's sake.

A quick Google, shows this design concept vehicle first appeared in 2001, and seems to pop up every 4-5 years and gets certain types all sweaty and excited. Calm down for God's sake.
You may have missed the news on another thread that the Hannover plant will be closing soon to clear it out to start production of the Buzz and the smaller T7/Multivan car based people mover. T6.1 production will be moved to a Turkish plant run by Ford until it is phased out in 2022 and replaced replaced by a new VW rebadged Ford Transit. If you want a full sized VW made van after 2022, this is your only option.

Last edited:
Reactions: JOG
Nothing wrong with a conversation. The VW/Ford collaboration could be a good thing. I’m told that the Ford has found its mojo again with the Custom. As the market lurches even further towards staycations, converted Ford Customs could well be the disruptor. The cheap and cheerful VW that became an icon in the 60s is now very expensive. Will Ford muscle in on a burgeoning market?

Back