How To: Using Discover Media Navigation System In Non-EU Countries; E.g. Morocco, UK

i did some try and error methodology and now its working

its a european car imported to israel with europ1 sd card

it turns out that the overall.nds file i was replacing was the one in ECE folder, but when i replaced the one inside Product/ISR folder in addition to PRODUCT.nds file then it worked

Thanks everyone

Hello @akhalaf , first thank you very much for putting the solution.

But it doesn't work for me, can you clarify a little more if you have left the file "OVERALL.NDS" in the EEC folder changed, or you just changed the one in "nds / PRODUCT / ...".
Did you change the file "PRODUCT.NDS" only in the folder "nds"?
In the *nds folder in Europe there are several folders E1, E2, E3, ..., E13 which of the "OVERALL.NDS" did you copy, or have you copied it from the original EEC (europe) to nds from ISR?

I've tried everything, but it still doesn't work

Thank you

From

>>

it turns out that the overall.nds file i was replacing was the one in ECE folder, but when i replaced the one inside Product/ISR folder in addition to PRODUCT.nds file then it worked
<<

It's the card which is the card for bundl1 first zone:

Andorra, Belgium, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, United Kingdom

So basically he did the standard workaround in the ECE folder then went on to replace the the one in the Product/ISR folder plus the PRODUCT.nds file taking the contents from the EU1 download folder in all instances. If you have the all Europe SD card you could take the two bits from the first zone perhaps. I'd download this and see what's in it:

Get that working in your car perhaps with the first workaround and then use the two other parts from the card if that works with your target area. As said I don't present to the unit the other zones that's to say I make Morroco 00 or Israel but don't copy over the other zones on the Non European downloads - at variance with the original post. That never worked for me and only do the standard workaround with the Overall.nds file from the original card. But if the other stuff works it might work for you. Obviously a long press on the volume button till the unit refreshes with no card in it, before you put in the revised map card. It certainly doesn't like you altering the data between maps if you don't do a long reboot.

From

>>

<<

It's the card which is the card for bundl1 first zone:

Andorra, Belgium, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, United Kingdom

So basically he did the standard workaround in the ECE folder then went on to replace the the one in the Product/ISR folder plus the PRODUCT.nds file taking the contents from the EU1 download folder in all instances. If you have the all Europe SD card you could take the two bits from the first zone perhaps. I'd download this and see what's in it:

Get that working in your car perhaps with the first workaround and then use the two other parts from the card if that works with your target area. As said I don't present to the unit the other zones that's to say I make Morroco 00 or Israel but don't copy over the other zones on the Non European downloads - at variance with the original post. That never worked for me and only do the standard workaround with the Overall.nds file from the original card. But if the other stuff works it might work for you. Obviously a long press on the volume button till the unit refreshes with no card in it, before you put in the revised map card. It certainly doesn't like you altering the data between maps if you don't do a long reboot.

Ok, thank you very much @Tell , it is exactly what I have done, I will continue investing.
Greetings.

Which unit do you have Med in your car... VW / Seat / Skoda model code of the infotainment unit and firmware for reference.

In the end I have succeeded, changing the PRODUCT.NDS file of the EEC folder not the one of nds
Thank you so much everyone.

Dark secrets I think. Must be the way the firmware in different models fusses over reading the map data and what liberties you can take.

Glad it works for you. Wonder if the person with the North American VW in France is reading this. Worth a try.

Reactions: Med
In the end I have succeeded, changing the PRODUCT.NDS file of the EEC folder not the one of nds
Thank you so much everyone.

Med, Could you please explain to me exactly how did you do?

Did you kept the previous Map of Europe then just changed the EEC files or what did you do exactly? Thank you.

Med, Could you please explain to me exactly how did you do?

Did you kept the previous Map of Europe then just changed the EEC files or what did you do exactly? Thank you.

yes.

here are the steps:

Case of a VW tiguan from Feb 2020, (for older units it can work only up to step 6).

1. Download the required Region Map Update. (For example, "Non-European countries - Package 3")

2. Use a VW SD card, as VW SD Cards have a special [CID] card identification code, and normal SD cards cannot be used for browsing data.

3. Erase everything on the card, (Before making a backup of what's on it).

4. Copy and paste the maps folder after unzipping it (do it in Windows because the mac fails something when unzipping, or use a recommended program "see volkswagen page").

5. Use a file explorer to open the 'maps' folder on the SD card. Depending on the map package you have, you will see several numbered folders.

6. Change the name of the corresponding folder of the Region number found inside the 'maps' folder on the SD card to '00'. For example; To use the MRM3 Region SD card to navigate in Morocco, etc., rename the folder '27' to '00'.

7. Copy the OVERALL.NDS file from the original (European) maps folder, which is in the “maps / EEC / EEC_WLD / OVERALL.NDS" path, and subscribe it to the card in the same path.

8. Copy the file OVERALL.NDS from the original maps folder (European), which is in the path “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / E1 / OVERALL.NDS”, and subscribe it to the card in the path “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / XX / OVERALL.NDS ”where XX is the code of the desired region (ME1 in the case of Morocco).

9. Copy the PRODUCT.NDS file from the original (European) maps folder, which is in the "maps / EEC / PRODUCT.NDS" path, and subscribe it to the card in the same path.

10. In the car, restart the Infotainment System by keeping the on / off button pressed for a few seconds, then insert the card and you're done.

A greeting.

Med was doing Europe map release in European VW Tiguan firmware to the Morroco map. Not North African Vag car with North African map to Europe which I think is your question. Meds issue was the published method didnt work. I find the published method does work but I dont present the other country zones on the card as the original post says. I do need the Mapcare workaround (step 7). Dont do 8 or 9. All works fine with Morroco and Israel maps on a 2019 Arona. Theory being the firmware in these units can be more fussy than others hence the extra steps Med found he needed. That Tiguan has probably got more carefully written software than the Seat Arona runaround. That's the WiFi standard unit verses the standard unit without WiFi.

We have yet to have a post where a non European Vag car car works with the European map. You would think you alter the 00 directory to the non European one one. This is the issue with the person with their North American VW in France. editing 00 to 01 doesn't do it and the other two alternative on the thread. The Mapcare workaround and the Product.nds one. He's still looking for a solution.

yes.

here are the steps:

Case of a VW tiguan from Feb 2020, (for older units it can work only up to step 6).

1. Download the required Region Map Update. (For example, "Non-European countries - Package 3")

2. Use a VW SD card, as VW SD Cards have a special [CID] card identification code, and normal SD cards cannot be used for browsing data.

4. Copy and paste the maps folder after unzipping it (do it in Windows because the mac fails something when unzipping, or use a recommended program "see volkswagen page").

5. Use a file explorer to open the 'maps' folder on the SD card. Depending on the map package you have, you will see several numbered folders.

6. Change the name of the corresponding folder of the Region number found inside the 'maps' folder on the SD card to '00'. For example; To use the MRM3 Region SD card to navigate in Morocco, etc., rename the folder '27' to '00'.

7. Copy the OVERALL.NDS file from the original (European) maps folder, which is in the “maps / EEC / EEC_WLD / OVERALL.NDS" path, and subscribe it to the card in the same path.

8. Copy the file OVERALL.NDS from the original maps folder (European), which is in the path “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / E1 / OVERALL.NDS”, and subscribe it to the card in the path “maps / 00 / nds / PRODUCT / XX / OVERALL.NDS ”where XX is the code of the desired region (ME1 in the case of Morocco).

9. Copy the PRODUCT.NDS file from the original (European) maps folder, which is in the "maps / EEC / PRODUCT.NDS" path, and subscribe it to the card in the same path.

10. In the car, restart the Infotainment System by keeping the on / off button pressed for a few seconds, then insert the card and you're done.

A greeting.

Med, Tell provided me with your method listed above. I had been working for 6 months trying to get my U.S. Golf Navigation System to work in France and your steps worked for me. I just wanted to send you a "Big Thank You"...

Med, Tell provided me with your method listed above. I had been working for 6 months trying to get my U.S. Golf Navigation System to work in France and your steps worked for me. I just wanted to send you a "Big Thank You"...

We got there :). Combination of the original post, the Mapcare workaround, Ashalef's additional fix and Med's interpretation of that to get 8. and 9. on more problematic infotainment units which are more fussy than others:).

yes.

here are the steps:

A greeting.
Med, thank you a lot, it's working for me. You helped a lot.

Tell, I am in Tunisia and MY Golf is from Europe.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now we know it works the other way on North American Golfs brought to Europe thanks to Rosteven. They just have one Zone 01 like Europe 00. Variation in the original post with the other stuff added in. The Arona isn't going abroad but it was fun trying out the Morroco maps and finding the most up-to-date Israel maps that VW dont publish in the cross country quest for maps and to get it working:).

And please do you have any idea about the App-connect license as here in Tunisia they don't sell it and it requires installation bu the manufacturer. Is there any other alternative to activate it.

Thanks!!

Hello everybody,

Rosteven I'm in the same situation as you. I bought a golf7 us and I am in France. I would like to have additional information if you want.

As I didn't have the volkswagen gps sd card in the car. I have to buy a new one. My question is should I buy an American or European SD card? Are you using an American or European card?
My second question is about the gps. My car dates from 2015, the gps is a first generation media discover. Does the procedure work for this type of GPS? What GPS do you have?

Thank you very much for your answer it's been almost 1 year that I am struggling.

PS : If anyone has the answers to these questions it will also be a pleasure to read it.

Hello everybody,

Rosteven I'm in the same situation as you. I bought a golf7 us and I am in France. I would like to have additional information if you want.

As I didn't have the volkswagen gps sd card in the car. I have to buy a new one. My question is should I buy an American or European SD card? Are you using an American or European card?
My second question is about the gps. My car dates from 2015, the gps is a first generation media discover. Does the procedure work for this type of GPS? What GPS do you have?

Thank you very much for your answer it's been almost 1 year that I am struggling.

PS : If anyone has the answers to these questions it will also be a pleasure to read it.
I will cut in and say since its a mib1 you will have problems since the process is for mib2 files not mib1.

Back