How to keep the van cool overnight when it's raining...

ausyray

VIP Member
T6 Pro
With two adults and a large greyhound we find the van can get a bit stuffy overnight. We normally put an external cover over the front and open up the front windows and then open the sliding window too but, what to do when it's raining?

How do other people keep fresh air into the back of the van? Will a pop top help keep the place cooler? I assume the fabric will allow more air to flow (especially when it's raised).
Any other ideas or tips?

A pop top with vents will help a lot, if you have an awning you can keep the sliding door open. Wind deflectors on the front windows will allow you to open the front windows a bit too.

I've not tried one but how about a 12V fan, anyone tried one of those?

I've got two little USB fans, only about 4" and you need to have them fairly near (3' ish) to feel them, but they've made the difference between sleep or no sleep on a couple of occasions. Echo the wind deflectors though, that's the whole point of them.

A pop top definitely helps to keep the place cooler - a couple of weeks ago the Eberspacher controller was showing a temperature of 35 degrees inside the van sat on the drive in full sun at home - I raised the roof and the temperature quickly went down to 27 degrees and stayed there. When camping we use decent external thermal screens on front and rear, open the front windows a couple of inches and have the top vent in the pop top open all of the while - not had any problems so far with 3 of us and 2 dogs - during the day we also tend to open the windows in the pop top to improve air flow - the mesh prevents light rain getting in - but have not yet needed to leave them open overnight.

:tongue bounce::cool:As above.
Popping the top is best way. Open up any or all of vents part way and it positively "sucks" the warm air out.
If you also open the two front windows an inch or two then even better.
Awning option great with side door open on really hot days.
Enjoy the rest of summer warmth!

Fiamma do a roof vent extractor/fan than can be used as a standalone, it's quiet on low speed (it has two speeds) and is about 40x40 cm so a good breeze.

Thanks for all the input everyone. All very useful. Wind deflectors seem to be the cheapest option to get me started. Then we might pick up a fan while I save for the elevating roof.

interested in this too - arrived at site in france with 34deg and had to get it cool before the storm arrived - didnt managed and was suffering for the start of the night..

When raining the side windows become next to useless?? unless you have an awning?

or is there sth i'm missing.. would love to know as we have sliding windows both sides..

interested in this too - arrived at site in france with 34deg and had to get it cool before the storm arrived - didnt managed and was suffering for the start of the night..

When raining the side windows become next to useless?? unless you have an awning?

or is there sth i'm missing.. would love to know as we have sliding windows both sides..
Wind deflectors will let you open the front windows a couple of inches without the rain coming in and you should be able to open one of the sliders without the rain coming in.

got windo deflectors but they drive us crazy when driving - squeak like crazy when closed on M-way... going to try either some silicome spray or sth else.. dont want to ever contact dubflctas again after the treatment i received..

once we have an awning yes we'll be able to either open the door or the window.. got to decide on the awning & then get it.. still not sure which one to go for..

Back