How To Find A Converter Who Isn't Booked Months And Months Ahead?

Chris B

Apologies if this already exists, I have had a look but couldn't find anything.
Is there a notice board anywhere online that prospective owners can post their requirements and converters with a slot available, either now or soon, can give notification?
To ring around all the different converters will take forever.
Cheers
Chris

Usually there is a reason why they're not busy. Don't make this your main criteria. In the big scheme of things a couple of months doesn't matter if you get a good job done :thumbsup:

Usually there is a reason why they're not busy. Don't make this your main criteria. In the big scheme of things a couple of months doesn't matter if you get a good job done :thumbsup:

I’d second that. You may find a slot pops up if someone cancels their conversion, otherwise you’ll have a few months wait. When I had my roof done, I dropped the van off and done the classic “oh, can you do this whilst it’s here?” so fitters undoubtably have to factor this in.

Without encouraging anyone to book and not show up, why don’t you get a date booked with a fitter now and knuckle down what you really want as you get nearer the time - providing they don’t ask for a huge deposit.
You’ll find the wait time will give you a few more pay-days.

Thank you both.
I appreciate that the reason they are so busy is likely that they are in demand because they provide quality.
Obviously I am super keen to get on the road. I have trawled through eBay and Autotrader for tht last couple of weeks since I made my mind up about my specifics and I have found several vans that are already converted but are not quite what I am looking for, hence my search for a van to convert.
The dilemma is that I don't want to buy a van then find out I cannot get a conversion for months but at the same time, I might miss out on the perfect base van while I am looking for a converter. I am sure you understand.
My other dilemma is purely vanity. I was lucky to get my perfect personal number plate last year and whilst it would be fantastic to have a '17 van, common sense is telling me that saving money is better than posing.

Thank you both.
I appreciate that the reason they are so busy is likely that they are in demand because they provide quality.
Obviously I am super keen to get on the road. I have trawled through eBay and Autotrader for tht last couple of weeks since I made my mind up about my specifics and I have found several vans that are already converted but are not quite what I am looking for, hence my search for a van to convert.
The dilemma is that I don't want to buy a van then find out I cannot get a conversion for months but at the same time, I might miss out on the perfect base van while I am looking for a converter. I am sure you understand.
My other dilemma is purely vanity. I was lucky to get my perfect personal number plate last year and whilst it would be fantastic to have a '17 van, common sense is telling me that saving money is better than posing.

You'd be mad to pick the first converter that has a spare slot. You'd be better off asking for recommendations based near to where you live, there are some real cowboys out there just waiting to take your money and do you a shitty job.

Worth speaking to a few converters and getting a slot booked with one you like - they will be able to advise on what variant/spec of van to go for based on what you want the end product to be, eg. some prefer the blank canvas of a panel van. Some may also be able to help with sourcing a suitable vehicle.

Welcome to the forum Chris B . Bodans of Shrewsbury who are not far from you sell quite a few that are already converted they have a good stock there it may help good luck :thumbsup:

There's also Starlight Campers at Netherton, and I think the company are called A&M in Aldridge, both small firms with bespoke conversions.

I visited Starlight last week and was taken around their workshops, seemed very helpful and friendly and the vans looked great.
Apart from the obvious logistical benefits of having the conversion done locally, I am also keen to support local business if possible.

Was at Bodans this morning as our van is with them being done at the minute and they have quite a few converted and unconverted (if that’s a word) vans for sale. If you buy a van from the converter you may find it gets done a little quicker as they can pull it off the yard when they have a break in their work that wasn’t planned.

Was at Bodans this morning as our van is with them being done at the minute and they have quite a few converted and unconverted (if that’s a word) vans for sale. If you buy a van from the converter you may find it gets done a little quicker as they can pull it off the yard when they have a break in their work that wasn’t planned.
It was the same at Hillside when we were looking they had a stock of brand new vans ready to convert plus a few second hand ones.

Back