Warning -re indecision, deposits and refunds

newbie vans

Just a word of warning on contracts and deposits. In February I agreed to have a lot of work done including installing a pop top roof from what I understood was a reputable convertor Slidepods. I paid a deposit of £500 and an additional £5000 to order the roof as I was very worried about the current climate of shortages etc. They couldn't fit me in until the second week of June. They sent me some written terms and conditions with no mention about deposit and instalment refunds. There was one email about the deposit £500 being a refundable deposit. I do remember discussion over the phone about liability for the roof once ordered, which was fair enough. I became anxious in early April about the whole project (the massive expense and also that I wasn't happy with all aspects of what was offered/choices) and phoned to see if the roof was ordered. They hadn't ordered the roof so I phoned to try to cancel but was told that as there was now under 2 months to go before the book in date. I would be liable for £100 per day of time in the workshop for 3 weeks unless they could fill the spot. They told me that this term was told to me in our verbal discussions. I didn't remember this and had relied on emails and written terms. This would mean cancelling could cost possibly £1500 if I didn't go ahead. After much negotiation they offered that I could go ahead with work or loose £500. They said that they had someone to partially fill the spot at that time but weren't prepared to refund any of it until after the slot was completely filled. £500 is still quite a lot, so to not loose the money I then decided to to go ahead, but wanted to check that they would be able to get all the materials in on time. I asked them to confirm that they either had the stock or that their suppliers currently had stock, because I had a holiday at the end of July. At that point they couldn't give me any reassurance and simply referred me to their terms and conditions which says that they are not liable for delays if stock is unavailable. At this point I lost total confidence and sacrificed £500 for peace of mind. I get that some admin and time was involved but surely that couldn't be more than say £100 worth of inconvenience. I could go to the small claims court and have been advised to do so, so I'm thinking about it but its a lot of hassle. My warning to others is - be clear and get in writing clear terms about refunds on deposits and payments towards materials. If a convertor orders in materials for you, then its fair enough that you are liable for these unless they can easily sell them to someone else, but do not assume that you can cancel, even if you have give a lot of notice, the convertor hasn't purchased anything for you and can't give any guarantees that your work will be done on time. My final warning is that indecision and lack of confidence in your converting decisions could cost you money. Back to the drawing bored for me and the search for a convertor that I can trust.

Their admin costs probably aren't that significant, but don't forget that you're also paying the £500 for your convertor's lost opportunity for income. One question though, why did you part with any money before you were happy with what the convertor could offer?

Unless they can provide proof of the phone conversation being recorded then surely you aren't liable? I had a similar experience with a certain company in derby who fitted my windows at an agreed price which is also clearly on their website then tried to add vat to the price even though the website very clearly states Inc vat. The owner then made out he would have to reluctantly honour the price suffice to say they lost any future business from me and any recommendations too.

Their admin costs probably aren't that significant, but don't forget that you're also paying the £500 for your convertor's lost opportunity for income. One question though, why did you part with any money before you were happy with what the convertor could offer?
I was sure that I wanted some of the work done but not all the details. I made the decision in a bit of panic knowing that convertors get booked up. There was a 4 month wait for the slot in the first place and I was also worried about parts being available (parts that still hadn't been ordered when I did decide to cancel). I had understood that it was possible to cancel so long as parts weren't ordered. With hindsight as I say it's important to be sure about everything before committing and also to have clear written terms as to what the cancellation policy is. That's why I posted as a useful reminder. Presumably with a 4 month wait list for a slot the slot with almost 2 months notice would not be a lost opportunity but I get that there is some inconvenience involved for them.

“I would be liable for £100 per day of time in the workshop for 3 weeks unless they could fill the spot.” - if this isn’t in writing then they’re taking the piss
I agree but a small claim is the only option.

Unless they can provide proof of the phone conversation being recorded then surely you aren't liable? I had a similar experience with a certain company in derby who fitted my windows at an agreed price which is also clearly on their website then tried to add vat to the price even though the website very clearly states Inc vat. The owner then made out he would have to reluctantly honour the price suffice to say they lost any future business from me and any recommendations too.
that's super cheeky!

I agree but a small claim is the only option.
How did you pay your deposit? If you paid by credit card and you can substantiate your assertion that the cancellation terms they are imposing are contrary to what you have in writing, then you may be able to enlist the help of your card provider w/o going through the small claims court.

Back