How Many Miles In Brake Pads

Jimmi

Television Lighting Engineer
T6 Guru
I have a 204 4Motion DSG. While breaking earlier going very slow I heard the rear brakes. It wasn’t a grinding noise but it was on a noise nevertheless which I don’t recall hearing before. It got me wondering how many miles should you get from a set of brake pads. I’ve done 24000 since new, mixed motorway and town driving. Is that a lot? Seems a lot to me.

Without stating the obvious its all about how you drive it. If you tow it tends to wear the rears quicker. Pads are a lot harder these days since the asbestos, so they tend to last longer, but discs dont!

Just had my 16 plate serviced with 50000 miles on it . Front still have 40% but rears down to 10 % . I do a lot of motorway miles so I think it’s the rears sticking on it the morning that has killed them . I am still on the rear tyres only 50% worn and just changed the fronts so not bad for 50000

I’ve just sold a 14plate t5.1 t32 180dsg 4mot with over 50k miles. Still on the original pads with 40% left.

thanks for the information, I’m shocked I didn’t realise they lasted that long. The last van I had was a Sprinter it was constantly loaded to the gunnels and it was all city driving.

The last MOT on my 2016 140 LWB highlighted worn rear pads. They still ample life in them but there is a noticeable grinding noise when driven first thing and at slow speeds. My first thought is surface corrosion on the discs but it happens too regularly to allow enough corrosion to form.
It has been mentioned before on the forum as many others experience what sounds like the backing plate on the disc but when the pads are still decent.
Potentially a combination of oe and/or aftermarket pads and/or discs combined with varying levels of interior refinement could contribute a lot to this.

Last edited:
Back