EGR insufficient flow repetitive fault

Lucy

hi everyone
I bought my van with 20,000 miles on it from an independent dealer in Wigan. A week later the EGR light came on. The dealer paid for the EGR to be replaced by my local mechanic to ensure I wouldn’t have further problems. Several months later the light came on again and the EGR needed flushing. I had it flushed by the representative dealer of VW which I had to pay for despite the EGR itself being under warrantee. Now 5 months later the same light came on, the same fault identified and they want to charge me for a flush again. I do mostly long journeys on the motorway. This is really stressful and I don’t want to pay for another flush after just 7,000 miles only to need another one in a few months, especially when this is a recognised fault by many VW drivers ad I have read on various forums. They simply will not acknowledge this and I don’t know what is the best step to take. Can anyone more knowledgable than me please advise me? I am at a loss

I’m very surprised and doubtful that an EGR cooler could have restricted flow at just 20K miles. There is no EGR light, the warning light that’s being referred to covers many potential faults.
There is no way that the new EGR could have restricted flow after 7K miles or the several months period (unknown mileage).
I suggest you get a full scan done and post it on the Forum, you could do this with Carista which is available from Amazon.
Are you needing to top up the engine oil, if so how much and how many miles between top ups?
What MPG are you getting?
Can you smell exhaust fumes under the bonnet or in the cab?

Hi
Thank you so much for getting back to me. It is really strange but apparently I’m not the only one who has had this experience. I took it to the VW garage and they confirmed it was insufficient flow all three times. I am burning more oil and had to top up my oil since service. I’m not sure how many MPG I am getting… I meant the engine management light and fault code was P0401

E212102A-1BD9-4990-9D6B-BB207772D23E.jpeg

It looks like you have two threads running on this, maybe one of the Moderators could merge them?
It’s possible that one or both of the EGR pipes are heavily fouled.
If the engine is consuming excess oil it will create soot and block the EGR and DPF.
How much oil are you adding and at how many miles between top ups?
What is the engine code (4 letters probably starting CX**)?

It looks like you have two threads running on this, maybe one of the Moderators could merge them?
It’s possible that one or both of the EGR pipes are heavily fouled.
If the engine is consuming excess oil it will create soot and block the EGR and DPF.
How much oil are you adding and at how many miles between top ups?
What is the engine code (4 letters probably starting CX**)?

Hi
I only added oil once so far since the light came on but it was low. The engine number is CXGB074659

Can’t really tell if the oil consumption is excessive unless there is a certain quantity over a certain mileage.

I understand. Is there anything else you can share with me that may be helpful in the meantime?

Ask if your van has the updated EGR pipes fitted, they were modified increase the exhaust gas flow.

My 2018 plate Van had the original Front EGR tube fitted.
Original tube has two small holes in the end which become blocked and throw up the low Flow fault.
Whilst on Holiday, the fault came up , AA via VW assist fitted a redesigned front pipe, the new design has a slot in the end (where the two holes used to be in the original) there is also an a shroud on the new pipe !

here is a photo of old vs New, I suspect the later part is the one with the slot, but I do not have the part number.

View attachment 189643

Plus check for split EGR pipes at the flexible bellows, you’ll see photos here EGR flexi-pipe: Exhaust Fumes In Cab, Hissing From Engine Bay.

Plus as I asked on post #2. Can you smell exhaust gases in the cab or under the bonnet with the engine running?

I think a little bit you can smell exhaust gases in the cab and under the bonnet.. it’s not overpoweringly strong. Thank you so much for your reply

I think a little bit you can smell exhaust gases in the cab and under the bonnet.. it’s not overpoweringly strong. Thank you so much for your reply
Best check for a split EGR pipe then, if you look yourself you may see a sooty black mark on the bellows section of the pipes.

Back