How.... how do you afford a van?

Since reading this, I've been looking as Transporters out on the road. Even tho' I had a T6, I still think that the T5.1 is the better looking van. I'd be looking at those too.
They are a good looking van. I am considering all options. When it comes to it a T5.1 or a T6 will be my rangenof choice. Just need the finances to allign when yhe right van shows up (magically)

My guess in the last 5 or so years many people could only afford one due to cheap finance, lenders willing to throw cash as people and strong residuals. Now there’s no cheap finance, less appetite to risk by lenders, high costs of running and living there will be quite a few looking for a cheaper form of transport, because a Transporter isn’t cheap to run, especially on a personal pocket versus running one through your business.

Reactions: CAB
I would have thought the prices would start dropping because of this but maybe because of the limited supply of new vans I don’t think we’ve seen that yet. I think my van is worth similar money it cost me nearly 5 years ago

My guess in the last 5 or so years many people could only afford one due to cheap finance, lenders willing to throw cash as people and strong residuals. Now there’s no cheap finance, less appetite to risk by lenders, high costs of running and living there will be quite a few looking for a cheaper form of transport, because a Transporter isn’t cheap to run, especially on a personal pocket versus running one through your business.
There's a lot in that. I got my Caravelle in 2020 on a PCP at 1.5%. Savings were earning 0.5% at the time, so call it 1%. When I sold it in 2023, my savings were earning 5.5%, plus my equity had gone from the £5k initial deposit to £12k. Interest gains aside, it cost me £7,700 in deprecation over 3 years to ride around in a £50k vehicle. That's about £40 a week after self employed tax offset. That will never happen again.

My situation came about by more luck than chance, we were in the throws of moving house and had a decent amount of savings to off set against a new mortgage.
However, said house sale fell through so we decided to say f**k it and get the van.
Within weeks of the house falling through, the mortgage rates went doolally. We had a mortgage in principal fixed for 5 years at 0.99%
They then just kept going northward so ditched the idea of moving and are enjoying the van more than expected.

Since reading this, I've been looking as Transporters out on the road. Even tho' I had a T6, I still think that the T5.1 is the better looking van. I'd be looking at those too.

I agree, I've always thought that a 5.1 Sportline with the right wheels and ride height is a better looking van than the 6/6.1

We just fancied a campervan and I wanted a project. I had £20k saved, but knew I’d be retiring soon so set my budget at £15k for a van with a bit leftover to get the ball rolling on the conversion.
Anyway, ended up spending £21k on the van and then I retired and did most i out f the conversion myself.
We opted for a u-shaped layout which allows us to sit around a table on sofa-style bench seats and eat while taking in the view.
We use it a lot, and we do park up overlooking amazing beaches or lakes or mountains and sit with the tailgate open having a brew and lunch.
So if you get 10 days off work in a chunk then it may be for you. We regularly just set off for Scotland.
We are currently on week 8 if a trip round the real Spain and Portugal and we have loved everyday.
Currently about to have a brew by the beach in Viana do Castilo in Portugal.
We obviously get more time due to being retired.
But it is a compromised lifestyle. You’re stuck in a small tin box with your wife. You pee in a porta potti in the same space that you sleep in. You gave little storage space and little standing and moving space. You get used to moving around together in a sort if choreographed fashion.
It’s not for everyone but we love it.

Went camping on a loaded up enduro bike. Trying to carry luggage and navigate tight, muddy, rocky, technical trails was just not as fun as I wanted.

Took tough decision to make a van my daily driver, selling my beloved Golf GTi. I was open to any SWB van but settled on T6 Euro6 so I could use my company car allowance and expense mileage through work.

Now I can load bike, drive to the trails, ride around all day and camp in the back of the van! Perfect

My pennies worth.
Get a credit card with £40k limit.
Buy van.
Don’t pay credit card. They will sell the debt to a 3rd party interloper. As the debt is sold they have paid your debt.
Ignore debt collectors. They will chase you. Ask for the deed of novation which is a signed piece of paper with your signature allowing for said debt to be transferred to new owner of said debt.
As you havnt signed anything your debt is now clear. You now have a free van.
If you get a court letter saying you’ll get a CCJ. Respond by saying “I’ve asked to see the deed of novation”
Case closed … happy days!! :thumbsup:

Just seen the exact same thing happen to my mate that worked as a mechanic at a garage. He done the above plus got loads of loans from loan sharks plus re-mortgaged. Went back to South Africa with hes brand new van. £300k in hes pocket plus the van.

I’m going back to work Monday like the rest of us idiots :fast rofl:

Yeah but South Africa isn't exactly a nice safe country. My brother got car jacked while working over there.

I keep seein a lot of potentials...

Reactions: CAB
If it was me I would hold out and save a bit more there’s a big difference between a £17,000 van and one for say £20,000-£22,000
If you can get thru this summer without one and look again in the winter when there’s a bargain to be had

If it was me I would hold out and save a bit more there’s a big difference between a £17,000 van and one for say £20,000-£22,000
If you can get thru this summer without one and look again in the winter when there’s a bargain to be had
I keep seein bargains. I haven't saved anything really. Just got a knack ered old mondeo to part ex and might get a loan. I'm thinkin of flipping one. Get a £12k base van. Do some basic mods and get it back on autotrader with a moderate mark up once the loans paid off. It'll take me 6+ years to save £20k... don't get me wrong I'd be ecstatic to have saved and then bought a £20k+ base van. I could go pretty wild on the design...

Yes understand that just meant if you saved a bit plus your loan would get you a better van!
Not sure if I missed it but what’s your requirements or must haves?
Aircon
Euro6 etc

Back